Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went through a drive through starbucks and the barista was admiring my ds and asking all about him and how old he was. I said 19 months and then she said, "wait but then why is he rear facing? Is he under 20 pounds?"

I said back to her, "actually he is 25 pounds, but the safest way is to keep the seat rf as long as possible. Even though the law says 20lbs and 1 year, it is actually safer to keep the child rearfacing for as long as he/she can up to the height and weight max for the particular car seat."

She said, "thanks I have a 10 month old and will definitly keep that in mind when shopping for the next carseat!"
:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I kept my ds1 rearfacing till 14 mo, then his dad (my xh) turned him, and he FOUGHT so hard to be foward, I mean crying every minute he was in rear facing. I turned him. DS2, we turned at about the same time for the same reason. We do rear face on trips so he can sleep comfortably adn I can nurse easier. I know what teh new recommendaitons are, they just haven't worked for my family. Sadly. But I won't force my children to be miserable if they don't have to be.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treece View Post
I kept my ds1 rearfacing till 14 mo, then his dad (my xh) turned him, and he FOUGHT so hard to be foward, I mean crying every minute he was in rear facing. I turned him. DS2, we turned at about the same time for the same reason. We do rear face on trips so he can sleep comfortably adn I can nurse easier. I know what teh new recommendaitons are, they just haven't worked for my family. Sadly. But I won't force my children to be miserable if they don't have to be.
no offense, but I don't get the point of your post here...

I did not tell someone what they *had* to do, nor did I criticize anyone or tell anyone to make their child miserable...Just sharing a (what i thought was ) positive story...

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Go Holly! I have tried and tried to talk to people, and I too have pretty much given up on talking to people about extended rear facing. It is so nice to read a story about it having an impact! My son will be rear facing to the limits of his seat, even though he regularly rides with other toddlers who are younger/shorter/lighter than he is who are forward facing. He has ridden forward facing a few times in a pinch, but has never protested being turned back around rear facing.

Yay for safer toddlers!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Congrats!! I haven't had any luck either, but your story gives me some hope! The last mama I told still insisted on FF her 16lb 9mo no matter what I said...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You rock! Glad someone was listening - I have tried to spread the word around here too and people are usually ALL about ERFing or totally clueless and don't care. It helpsthat DD is so big though - and I got her a really cute car seat (ashley floral Marathon) so people ask about it sometimes that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.