Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. He started regressing in his motor skills around 19 months old and we brought him in to our pediatrician who largely blew us off at that time. He made us go see an orthopedist to see if it was a leg length discrepancy. At that orthopedist appt., obviously no leg length discrepancy was found but he was tested for muscular distrophy and friedrich's ataxia. The stupid thing is that orthopedist had a huge reaction to ds's problems unlike our ped., but told us to expect "not ever knowing what it is." He did tell us to see a neurologist, but he intimated that this was most likely genetic and fairly hopeless. I regret relying on that. I knew somewhere in me that it could be a tumor but I ignored my instinct thinking that I must be off base since no doctor was mentioning this. Instead we stupidly opted to wait another year before subjecting our son to more of, what we thought were, useless tests. God I regret that.

We finally had an MRI done on the 16th, a few days ago and they found a large cystic tumor growing on his cerebellum, hence all of his motor problems. It appears to be "benign", although the neurosurgeon told us that nothing growing in your brain is ever really benign. They think and hope that it's a juvenile pylocytic astrocytoma (the biopsy will tell them for sure). He's also suffered hydrocephaly as a result and may need a shunt or something else. The tumor is compressing his brain stem thus blocking the normal flow of CSF (cerebral spinal fluid). He's going to undergo surgery to remove the tumor sometime in early december (they haven't told us a specific date yet.)

Luckily, we have so much faith in our neurosurgical team. They seem like they'll do their very best to remove it but not harm him more in the process.

I'm so incredibly scared. I feel like this isn't really happening.

Please send positive energy and thoughts our way. Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
What a scary situation. I'm almost crying just reading. I hope everything gets taken care of and that your son grows up to be healthy and strong.

Andi

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm so sorry. Please try not to blame yourself. I and I'm sure many other mothers here have fallen into the trap of trusting doctors even when it went against our instincts. We're human and want to trust those who are supposed to be experts. I think we also often want to believe that there's nothing wrong even when we think there is. I'm glad you have a competent team of neurosurgeons. I'm sure your son is in good hands with such a caring mother. Please keep us updated on his progress. I'll be thinking of you and your son.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hugs and prayers. My DD has a large cyst in the same area as your son's tumor. It resulted in developmental delays and hydrocephalus. She has two shunts and has had multiple brain surgeries. If you need to talk, PM me anytime!!!!

Is he receiving care at a pediatric hospital?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
hugs.

I also want you to know I have several friends who have had tumors removed from their brains and have gone on to have perfectly fine lives.

just to let you know.

hang in there, mommy.

it sounds like your son is in great hands.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hey mama ( Hi from our due date club
wow what a difficult thing to be going through.My daughter is 9 and has cerebral palsy and is having surgery on Dec 4th.It is scary and overwhelming,i know.My 'special child' has taught me so much and is the most amazing gift in my life.I know you feel the same way about your child and as difficult as it is having a differently abled child can be it, is also the most amazing.I send light and love your way~

1 - 20 of 76 Posts