Mothering Forum banner

I'm so tired...

607 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AmyY 
#1 ·
The night before last was great. F slept 8 hours without waking, and even J only got up a few times. Last night was karmic payback; there wasn't a single hour between 10 and 5 that I wasn't up with someone.

I realized the other day that I haven't slept more than five hours in a row in over a year. And, let's be honest, five hours is a luxury. Three is about what I expect these days.

Last night was bad. I tried co-sleeping. I tried sleeping them in their cribs. Nothing really worked. Instead of going back down after nursing, F sat up in her crib and cried for me. When I brought her to bed she fussed and complained that she wasn't in her crib. No one was happy, and I have no idea why.

I wish I could figure out the pattern, if there even is one, so I could replicate what I am doing on the "good nights" every night.

#2 ·
are you nursing and pumping or just nursing? If you are pumping this was my trick. I would nurse then pump then go to bed at 6pm leave the bottles with dh and I would sleep.DH would feed them again@ 10pm I would get up for the 1am feeding so that would give me 7 hrs of sleep some nights a little more I would pump again after the 1am feeding DH would go to bed around 11pm and get up at 6 for work so he would also get 7 hrs of sleep. yes I would need to get up again after the 1am feeding at 4 or so but it made such a big diffrence in letting me get 6 strait hours of sleep that exra hour was just a bonus. FWIW we never did CIO with this method, if for some reason they just needed mommy yes I would get up with them but it worked around 90% of the time. I know it's hard to find a pattern of what makes everyone happy and with little or no sleep it's even harder to remember every detail of what you did from the last hour not to go back to what you did the day before that helped them sleep. Good Luck to you

#5 ·
Does it make you feel any better that I am in the SAME EXACT EXHAUSTED BOAT???

I don't think I have even gotten 5 hrs of uninterrupted sleep in the last year. My 10 month old twins have colds right now and are actively teething. I am so tired....so very tired. I am having a cup of coffee right now at 4p.

I feel your pain, mama. I feel your pain.

A couple of neighbors with 4 mo old babies were just complaining that their singleton was still waking up once a night and that at 4 months, surely they should be sleeping through.
:

#6 ·
Have one or both of them had trouble sleeping for months? If so, I would look at the possibility of food sensitivities. DS had sensitivities to dairy that only showed up in his horrible sleep. It didn't resolve until I got all the cow's milk protein derivatives out of my systems. I have had other friends with less severe sleep issues that resolved after some dietary changes - usually cutting down or eliminating dairy.

Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest, but I certainly feel for you. Lack of sleep makes life incredibly difficult.

#7 ·
Ah the sleep deprivation. You're still at that stage where by the time you get everybody ready to go out, you're too exhausted to go.
:

My girls are now 3.5 and enjoy looking at the photo albums (nine in all
) of their first year. In any picture featuring yours truly
: , my eyes were either half or all the way closed. Which is durn funny inasmuch as I don't believe I slept more than an hour at a time, and often less than five hours in any given 24 hour period, during that first year.

Hugs to you. Although you will not believe it's possible, I now complain when I only (ONLY!!) get five hours straight of sleep on a given night.
: Yep toss that brick I deserve it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.