Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pregnant and nursing my four year old. I have no intention of weaning her until she goes to college
When the new baby comes I will not have a bottle, breastpump, pacifier or formula in the house. I don't intend to leave my baby anywhere with anyone until he tells me, "bye mommy, see you later." Dh and I will take the baby everywhere with us and if we want to go out of town baby will come too. We will feed solids from the table when the child sits up and asks for them.

In talking to other moms and reading other forums I get the feeling that I am totally weird for this approach.

BTW this is the only place other than LLL meetings or API where I feel I can be totally open and honest about CLW.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Take that back!

Name calling! MODS! HELP! She called me NORMAL!!!!

Make her stop.

-Angela
normalnornalnornalnornalnornal...you can't stop me...but if a mod smells this I can delete it and make you look CRAZY!
:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we are the normal ones but I get so tired of trying gently to pass the "truth" on.

I get tired of all the misinformation that people have about breastfeeding and then when I try to offer anything else I am looked at like I have two heads or worse.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
You're NOT alone -- we do things the exact same way here!

When I would get the questions/ comments my favorite approach is to act like we ARE truly mainstream.

"Pacifiers? You mean people still use those things? I haven't seen one since the 70's!"

And when people ask me (in the snooty way) about weaning or leaving for a night out or a weekend away I say:

"When was the last time you had sex with your partner?"
(SILENCE)
"Right. It's none of your business. It's between me and my child. Pass the dip."

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
And when people ask me (in the snooty way) about weaning or leaving for a night out or a weekend away I say:

"When was the last time you had sex with your partner?"
(SILENCE)
"Right. It's none of your business. It's between me and my child. Pass the dip."

You've got to videotape that exchange for the rest of us...

-Angela

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Ohhhh,ohhhh,ohhhh pick me, pick me..

Can I join your CLW freak club?

I have a son who will be 5 in August and we are CLW!
I dont put any limits except not when I am going potty or trying to cook dinner.

Do I fit the requirements?

Ok, I will stop joking. Welcome to MDC CLW board. Its a wonderful board and does make me feel like I am not the only one around CLW. I am the only IRL person who does, but who the heck cares...not me!
I really do not want to be normal.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post

I'll hang out here with you and we can be CLW freaks together

-Angela

Me too!!! My dd is three and a half, but she is taller than most five year olds, so we stopped nursing in public about a year ago.
: She just got too strong for me to be able to keep my shirt down in public situations.

Ok, so you're a clw freak. So what?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can I join too?

I'm slowly coming out of the closet, people in my town are starting to see just how much of a freak I am. Yet my son (3.5) already has a rep for being the smartest and most confidant, well behaved kid around. (funny, I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that we're breastfeeding, babywearing, granola eating freaks?)my town is not very AP friendly
: .

Sadly, I won't be around for long as my ds is in the process of weaning. After a bumpy start, I'm hoping the process will be slow
: as I'm starting to miss it now.

Sandra.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
is it weird tht none of those make me feel freaky in any way, shape or form?

(oh, i feel like a freak- i was amazed for a good 20 minutes observing the flies in the flytrap around the chicken coop today. it holds ten thousand! they had some big bug that got in accidentally they were all attacking, they'd mated, hatched eggs, had maggots, and drowned by the thousands, and still they poured in- big, little, red-eyed, stripey, bluebottle, greenbottle, blackflies- i found it astounding. ok, maybe not so much a freak as a born entomologist
, but that's 'freak' enough to most people.)

but letting my mammalian babies at my primate teat for comfort or nourishment? um, isn't that what any mammal from dormouse to elephant is smart enough to figure out?

if anything i feel kind of freaky that i'm so farking old i dried up and the baby (5 in august) has pretty much lost interest.
to not make it to 5 with this one! you'd better kick me out of the club now.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
this forum is the ONLY place (besides at home with my husband and daughter) I feel completely free about our nursing relationship -- no other forum online, NOT in LLL (no way, sadly), and not among any of my oh-so-crunchy friends.

That isn't to say they are judging me harshly. My good friends are quite comfortable/accepting about my choices. But, it's not easy to avoid slipping into feeling defensive, as if I'm incapable of setting boundaries or taking care of myself.

Knowing I take care of myself, knowing I frequently set nice healthy boundaries with my daughter, these are the two things I need to do (Know) to avoid feeling like a freak when it comes to following Maya's needs for nursing.

Glad to be here.

--Heather

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
College? I was thinking her honeymoon would be a good weaning opportunity - you know, 'mother's little holiday'.

I don't feel defensive about it, in fact I take the lead with my friends in asserting that it's not yet average to nurse beyond 2. Just because everyone doesn't do it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

·
Registered
864 Posts
well i would like to join in though i am very early in the game. but it is mamas like you that have helped me come to this great decision (and so many other ap ones). people keep asking me when i am leaving DD. i have not yet left her and she is five months old. i just know she isn't ready for it yet. but yeah, it gets tiring when everyone thinks they can have a say. but like i said, it's mamas like you that help me make these wonderful parenting suggestions (and make me giddy *hoping* that my little one will be nursing when she is five!
)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I don't feel defensive about it, in fact I take the lead with my friends in asserting that it's not yet average to nurse beyond 2. Just because everyone doesn't do it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

I don't think I feel defensive because I feel very secure in my parenting decisions as I approach the birth of #8. With my first I was easily led astray.

Now I just feel weary because it just seems that I am paddling against the current and would like to have a few people IRL that were following the same path. It is hard not having anyone to openly share with.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurve View Post
well i would like to join in though i am very early in the game. but it is mamas like you that have helped me come to this great decision (and so many other ap ones). people keep asking me when i am leaving DD. i have not yet left her and she is five months old. i just know she isn't ready for it yet. but yeah, it gets tiring when everyone thinks they can have a say. but like i said, it's mamas like you that help me make these wonderful parenting suggestions (and make me giddy *hoping* that my little one will be nursing when she is five!
)
Your dd has a great birthday!
:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.