Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my schedule: Breakfast, then starving an hour later. Lunch, then starving. Pre-dinner starving, dinner then post dinner starving, followed by lying in bed starving.

I swear, I was never this hungry with my first preg. We're moving in a few weeks, so I have to be intentional about groceries - I can't buy stuff that I won't actually eat. But I can't think of anything I want to eat most of the time. I'm spending lots of time staring at the fridge - but nothing looks good. The thought of fruits and veggies is still yuck! But I don't eat meat other than fish, so high protien snacks are a challenge.

So, share your snack ideas with a desparate woman. I'll share what has been tasty:

Whole wheat frozen waffle, toasted and with peanut butter
Strawberry and blueberry smoothies (with OJ and Ice cream - so not super healthy, but hey it's fruit)
half a bagel with sliced tomato or avocado (I've been adding a slice of cheese for protien)

What are you eating?

· Registered
367 Posts
Peeking in from the December club:

Rice pudding (I make my own, but Kozy Shack makes a good one; I add raisins to it)

Toasted bread sandwiches (ideally, a dense bread like Pepperidge Farm) with soy butter and fig jam (I got a big jar of it at Williams-Sonoma)

Baby carrots with ranch dressing

White flesh nectarines

OK, now I'm hungry again!

· Registered
4,391 Posts
Almonds - have good fat and great protein and calcium to boot!
String cheese - again protein & calcium
Good protein bar with low sugar like Permalean - www.permalean.com
Smoothies with fresh/frozen fruit, yogurt, flax oil, protein powder

Keri

· Registered
1,203 Posts
I've had this same problem...sooo hungry all the time and tired of eating what I have on hand! I'm also trying to keep my sodium levels down as it now seems to give me horrible headaches.

I bought some cottage cheese at the store yesterday--which is great because high protein--16 grams in 1/2 a cup. I've really been loading up on the fresh fruits and veggies, too, and microwave popcorn doesn't have to be too salty or sugary (I like Jolly Time Healthy Pop Kettle Corn). I just thawed out some mini bagels I have in the freezer, which will be great with some butter. Oh, and I also bought some nut and dried fruit mixes at Trader Joe's.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
1,219 Posts
High protien, low fat is the way to go. Hummus on bread, handfuls of unsalted nuts, small dice size pieces of cheese, glass of milk, nonfat plain yogurt with unsweetened applesauce (you can find peach, berry, and granny smith applesacue that don't have any added sugar and we love those at our house), organic canned beans (rinse them to reduce the sodium) I love a handful of these!...Hope that helps!

· Registered
3,595 Posts
Pudding pops.

I've been making pudding (not instant) and then putting it in pop molds. My thing this week are chocolate and vanilla swirled made from the organic pudding mixes. I've been on a huge dairy kick (I probably need calcium) and so this has been really nice - especially with the heat.

· Registered
709 Posts
i need to snack lately, too. very unlike me! here are some favorites, though i know you said you don't really want to do fruits/veggies:

- toasted pita or baby carrots with garlic-y hummus
- homemade salsa fresca or guac w/ tortilla chips
- berries of all kinds
- bran flakes with skim milk (the only cereal i actually like! weird, i know)
- half a bagel with a scrambled egg, or a piece of cheese

· Registered
184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Becca
Here's my schedule: Breakfast, then starving an hour later. Lunch, then starving. Pre-dinner starving, dinner then post dinner starving, followed by lying in bed starving.

I swear, I was never this hungry with my first preg. We're moving in a few weeks, so I have to be intentional about groceries - I can't buy stuff that I won't actually eat. But I can't think of anything I want to eat most of the time. I'm spending lots of time staring at the fridge - but nothing looks good. The thought of fruits and veggies is still yuck! But I don't eat meat other than fish, so high protien snacks are a challenge.

So, share your snack ideas with a desparate woman. I'll share what has been tasty:

Whole wheat frozen waffle, toasted and with peanut butter
Strawberry and blueberry smoothies (with OJ and Ice cream - so not super healthy, but hey it's fruit)
half a bagel with sliced tomato or avocado (I've been adding a slice of cheese for protien)

What are you eating?
I know the starving feeling. I just don't understand how it's possible to feel nauseous and starving at the same time, but that's how it's been here lately. Not only am I starving, but nothing sounds good to eat. So I've been eating a lot of Saltines. They are so neutral, it's almost like eating air. It feels my tummy enough without feeling grossed out by food. I hope you find something you like and feel better!

· Registered
1,714 Posts
I agree on the starving but nothing sounds quite good. I wish I could eat fruits and veggies but I tried a smoothie yesterday and my nausea hit an all time high. Seems i can only eat dairy and starch which is the antithesis of my usual diet. when will we be normal again>>???

· Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeetastesgood
Totally forgot about my #1 snack... cheddar cheese melted on triscuits. mmm mmm.
Mmm...that sounds fabulous.

I was looking back at my food diaries from pg#1 (kept for my Bradley class) and totally forgot about my late-night snack of Ritz crackers with cream cheese and sliced green olives. Sounds awful, but so salty and good....

I'm trying to like fruit, but it;s a struggle. But all these garden tomatos that are ripening are getting irresistable. I can't wait until that second trimester when fruit is so amazing you can't get enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.