Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined here and posted after my HPT, then posted again after a disappointing u/s.....only to update that post with great news that they saw a heartbeat a week later! My dates were obviously wrong. GREAT news!

In the meantime, they had done some followup "thrombophilia" blood work (follow up from a few years ago actually). The ob/mw office never called with results so I figured all was well. THEN I get a call from the hematologist (NOT my mw) saying that the mw wants me to make an appointment RIGHT AWAY ! I was so upset I started crying.

I will fast-forward to the outcome...which seems fine to me. I have "mthfr" gene mutation and have to take 2000 mg EXTRA folic acid. I also have to take a baby aspirin once per day because of some possible blood clotting issues. Thankfully they DID get me in right away so that I could STOP WORRYING !

So, I am a little over 8 weeks now....and I feel like I can more wholeheartedly join you ladies ! I can't wait for my next appointment so that we can try to hear the heartbeat on the doppler...I think maybe THEN I can start to enjoy this pregnancy!

In the meantime I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and hope we all have a happy and healthy pregnancy !

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
WOW

Im sorry to hear it but its good that you know and can take care of it! Too many women with MTHFR dont know and end up having several losses

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
My very good friend has that gene for folic acid deficiency. I'm happy to report that, after four years of not knowing about it and four years of losses, once she DID start taking the mega-doses of folic acid, she's had two beautiful, healthy baby boys!

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
What is mthfr?
http://www.pregnancy-info.net/mthfr.html

but to put it simply... it effects your blood like a clotting disorder... so aspirin keeps it from clotting which can cause a miscarriage.

Its MUCH more complicated than that but thats the very watered down version.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galatea, MTHFR is some sort of genetic mutation. I read about it here. I only have one of the gene mutations (which was good news) so the folic acid should be beneficial.

Pearl, you are SO right. They started testing me BEFORE I had my DD for thrombophilia issues because of a few losses I had...at the time, they didn't test for MTHFR. This time they did. In the end, I'm glad. I always feel better "knowing" what's going on. Maybe now they will test more women..it's just a simple blood test.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I also have the MTHFR mutation, heterozygous, but because of three early losses I am being treated with baby asprin, extra folic acid and B6 and B12. If you are not on B6 and B12, I would ask about it, because the MTHFR mutation causes lack of absorption of B6 and B12, as well as Folic acid.
I found out after my third early loss and was very shocked! i did alot of research. I did find out that there is no real standard of care for MTHFR, some OB's use heperin or lovenox instead of baby asprin, some won't treat for hetero, some treat aggressively, things are developing in this area, and it really varies. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
I also have the MTHFR mutation, heterozygous, but because of three early losses I am being treated with baby asprin, extra folic acid and B6 and B12. If you are not on B6 and B12, I would ask about it, because the MTHFR mutation causes lack of absorption of B6 and B12, as well as Folic acid.
I found out after my third early loss and was very shocked! i did alot of research. I did find out that there is no real standard of care for MTHFR, some OB's use heperin or lovenox instead of baby asprin, some won't treat for hetero, some treat aggressively, things are developing in this area, and it really varies. Best of luck!!
Thank you for the great info..I will be looking into the B6 and B12. Is there any harm in taking more of those vitamins? Maybe I should start taking them regardless???? Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.