Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about using prefolds mostly when my newborn arrives......

Can anyone tell me what a good stash would be? Howm many prefolds, wraps etc. I'll probably buy some fitteds, aio's as well.

Also, I am going to be switching my 15 month over to cd. What do I need for him? I'm thinking about doing a combination of aio's and prefolds or would prefolds be the way to go?

Can you tell I'm confused? :LOL

Leslie

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Leslie,

Welcome to CDin'g! I am a prefold lover so I think your idea of mostly using prefolds is awesome.
For a newborn I would recommend 3 dozen infant prefolds. I like a combo of both 4-6-4 and 4-8-4's. Wrap wise I'd suggest 4-6 nb bummi sww's and proraps and 4-6 smalls in the same brand. Also get a couple snappis and a couple sets of pins (though you can trifold and lay in cover but it's good to have snappis and pins on hand for a snugger fit).

As for your 15mo old you can get 2 dozen regular or premium prefolds. The regulars are trimmer but if you have a heavy wetter go with premiums. Again, bummi and prorap covers are a good way to get started. If you'd like a few AIO's - say 3-6 for outings try the ATD's for an economical and sturdy choice. Also check out some WAHM's and other brands and even think about some Fuzzi Bunz (perform pretty much the same way as an AIO, but you do have to stuff them with either an insert or prefold). FB's are great for outings and overnight.

Oh and coverwise you can also try some wool - say an aristocrat for nights with prefolds.

I'm sure other mamas here will give you some good advice - it can be overwhelming at times, but to get started some good 'ole prefolds and covers are a great choice!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Maria gave you great advice! ITA with what she said, except that I'd be tempted to add another dozen infant-size pfs (so 4 dozen in all) just b/c some days it seems like the newborn wets the new dipe as soon as you get it on (or sooner if you have a boy :LOL ). And definitely try some wool! There are so many wonderful WAHM knitters out there.
Though wool covers are nice too.
Have fun with your prefolds!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Am I the only one who just didn't need that many prefolds???? We did prefolds only and I only had 20. We just did a load of laundry every night before bed.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the bummis SWW--but I
bummis original covers. I just find the SWW are kinda hard and stiff and they left marks on my little ones legs--I got a full 4.5 months out of size small bummis original--my size small SWW didn't fit until she was roughly 9 weeks old and is basically now out of it at 5 mos.

That said, we've switched pretty much to all fuzzibunz now and while I still love my prefolds--the fb's are so easy.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
We did prefolds only and I only had 20. We just did a load of laundry every night before bed.
This is what we did too for the first several months we cloth diapered and it was totally do-able. Though now we have enough diapers so we only have to wash every third day and it is nice to have this extra flexibility and not always have to have it done at night no matter what is going on.

Now that we will soon have 2 in diapers I am expecting to wash every other day and I am planning on having 3 dozen diapers for the little one. I think this is more than we will *need*, but I think it is always nice to have extra absorbant materials around when you have a baby!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts