Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds who will be three in Feb has little interest in potty training. I attempted several months ago and was successful with him here and there but he's just as happy to be in a diapers.

I'm done with diapers. He's capable of using the potty, he just doesnt really care either way.

Is it cruel to just put him in underwear and tell him we're only going to use dipies at night time? Is this a successful method? I remember my other three children just kind of had a little coaching from me but mostly just naturally potty trained. My little guy has some sensory stuff and might just need a bigger push from me but I also dont want to "force" him...yk? what do you all think?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Thats kind of what I did with Nathan at 30 months. I knew he could so I just didnt put him in diapers anymore. I did the naked method. It took him about 3 days to get the hang of it and by 7-9 was really good w/ peeing. Even in the tub/shower I had him pee in an empty shampoo bottle just to get him used to not "letting it fly". I found w/ my boys that either undies or pants but having both on was to much trouble to pull down. Now that its winter I would probably go w/ loose fitting sweats. It was about a week of not going anywhere I did make a few short trips but I put a pull up over his undies that way if he got wet he felt it. But only used pull ups at nap and nights. DS3 hated to sit to pee so we bought a Peter Potty and it worked like magic he would run in the bathroom pull it out and aim some people think its just a gimmick but it worked for us. I was determined not to stop once we started. He did have some issues w/ holding his poop but we worked through those ( he would wait until he went to sleep to poop for a few weeks). My ped suggested 2oz of prune juice a day to keep him soft and regular ( I mixed ours w/ apple juice and he thought it was a treat because I always cut his juice w/ water).
Good luck cold turkey worked here.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
I actually started putting him in chonis a few days ago and today was the first day he actually peed in the potty. He just keeps peeing and pooping in his pants. Im not sure how long to give it before I just put him back in diapers? If he starts having more success we'll go full steam ahead, I just dont want to force him, yk?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've heard of a book called something like "Potty Training in a Day" (I can't remember the exact name). But it worked kind of like what you're doing--you keep ds naked (or with just a shirt and the heat turned up) in one room or area of the house with hard wood/linoleum floors with a potty in the corner (or wherever). I think the idea is that eventually he'll use the potty rather than the floor. Maybe someone else knows more about this and whether it works?

Kelly

·
Registered
340 Posts
just wanted to pop in and say that I am going through this w/ dd right now...she is 30 months and I just said no more diapers yesterday....this morning she made it from 8 to 1230 then went on the potty at 1230 had 1 accident at about 230 at which time we switched to a dipe for nap time and shes still napping....when she wakes up i plan on taking of her dipe and putting her on her potty and then letting her remain naked until bedtime! I am just so tired of having two in diapers and I really think she knows whats going on!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I do the naked thing with my 27 month old. He is interested in the potty so I figured we would try now. We make it fun I will ask him every so often if he needs to go pot. if he says yes, I will airplane him over to the potty and we sing. This would also be the only instance in which I bribe/reward him. if he goes he gets a little "nummie" usually an m&m or something of the sort. 3 days he's done pretty well. We had one accident after nap time because I didnt get him there in time

·
Registered
487 Posts
My sister in law did something simmilar.
She adopted 2 boys from Korea that were about 13 months apart.
When she thought that the oldest was overly ready for PT - she simply explained (keep in mind they were in sposies) that there were no more diapers in the world, and that she needed to use the rest for the youungest brother. She said she explained it very matter of factly, not emotional (like begging, hoping, pleading - any of those things...no "now your a big boy")
IT WORKED!
He was potty trained in a day.
For the youngest she did something simmilar. It too worked.
It was the strangest thing, because the boys had totally diffrent personalities. I think the key was she waited till they were totally ready.

Also - she was a SAHM, so they were not going to daycare, where there were lots of other children in diapers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts