Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have read everything under the sun. I have talked to LLL leaders, gone to meetings, done everythign "right" to have a good breastfeeding relationship with my girls.

SO WHY do I have everything wrong happen?!

With bean I had Mastitis 5 times plus numerous clogged ducts. And cracked bleeding nipples and leaking for the entire time she nursed...grr....

Now bella is 7 months and I have already had mastitis twice, and now I have another clogged duct and it makes me so MAD!!!

And she has 4 teeth now, which she enjoys biting me with at least 3 times a day

I just don't get it. Why is it so easy for some people and such a big pain in you know where for me?

For the mastitis I usually end up on antibiotics, but I do try achidopholis, garlic, plus lots of liquids and vitamins.

Anyone have any ideas why I keep getting this ?
I don't wear tight bras or clothing. I don' t eat fried foods, I don't get much sleep (she eats all night long )

HELP!!!!
Yesterday I actually considered WEANING her because I thought I was getting Mastitis again and I just got over a case of mastitis on the other breast.
I just don't know how I can keep this up

·
Registered
830 Posts
Here is a helpful link www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Do you carry a heavy diaper bag? Do repetative arm motions? Have you thought about taking lecithin as a preventative?

Here is a link about biting
www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html
The key thing to remember about biting is that baby CANNOT bite while actively nursing. You can prevent alot of bites by watching for signals that baby is about to bite. The link has some great tips.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Hang in there,mama. It WILL get better.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
I 2nd the rec for soy lecithin for recurrent mastitis. It is a last resort that works for some moms. Make sure you are resting as much as poss. The most common cause of recurrent mastitis is doing too much. If you are not getting much sleep at night, it is absolutely critical you rest every afternoon with yr feet up for an hour. Let all outside commitments go. Do not entertain or attempt to have a clean house. Get takeout food on bad days. Use paper plates and cups. Never shorten or skip a feeding either. Some mothers are very sensitive to babies who feed irregularly. If your baby does this, it may be a good idea to pump a bit on days she nurses less.

If you have copious leaking and plugs, is it possible you have an overabundant milk supply? Nurse on one side only for 3-4 hours to see if this can lessen it. Pump on the unused side to comfort only as your supply lessens. This could take about a week or so to regulate. Go for more hours on one side only if necc.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

another biting link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Sorry to hear about the repeat mastitis. Try to nap when the baby naps, as they say, because rest is the number one preventive for mastitis. Don't do too much!

Cut out as much saturated fat as you can, drink tons of water, and take multivitamins. Try a homeopathic remedy, if you can afford a homeopathist. Hope you heal better.

Tons of healing energy your way.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I know this sounds kinda woo woo, but I had chronic breast problems until my friend looked it up in some weird health mantra book she had. The breast issues were manifestations of my subconcious doubts and fears about motherhood. I cleared the thoughts out and used positive mantras and it went away.
:

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

I don't get much rest. I have a 2 year old also who does not nap and who is high energy all day long. So no naps, and bella boo is up all night nursing, so there really is not time to sleep well.

I know that is probably the root of the problem, but I will look into your links and advice ! If nothing else , maybe I can avoid getting bit again!
:LOL

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
If you have a spirited toddler who won't nap, maybe think about getting some help with her? A neighborhood 11 or 12 year old can be good for games and stories, in your house or yard, while you lie down with the baby in the afternoon. Once or twice a week would really give you a nice break.

Does your dh (if you have one) help with her when he gets home from work?

Is there anyway you can start a quiet time in the afternoon, when your dd knows to play quietly and you both have a restful break?

We moms are not meant to do the full out hard work of mothering alone, with no breaks!

Have you read
Raising Your Spirited Child?

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I've tried reading it, but haven't found much time. I usually get 5 mintues here and there for computer checking and that is about it!
At night I could read, but I usually don't. . . there are always so many other things to do .. .sigh

I had considered a mother's helper, but dh wasn't very supportive of the idea. I don't know why. He felt like it was too close to daycare or something?
I don't know. I gave up on that a while ago. Bean is now starting a part time preschool, so for 9 hours a week bella and I will have a bit of quiet time ... hopefully NAP time!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember the lactobacillus as well as the acidophillus after atibiotics. We need both and babes need both-actually they need more of the lacto one. Yogurt has both. And I have heard that saturated fats can lead to mastitus. Heat pad works great for me. Heats the bacteria right out of my boobs. And at ovulation time many women have boob problems. The hormones or something cause swelling and then the ducts clogg and you know the rest. I have homeopathic silica for the acute nipple pain. But try the heat pad in ernst if you feel any-I mean any pain in the breast. I am so with you on feeling like everything that could go wrong has. And I have nursed for over three years with no problems. Why am I having problems now with this little guy??

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas!
I am tempted to dig the microwave out of storage just for heat packs!
LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.