Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done everything I can do to keep the stinks out of my dipes. I've tried nameless detergents. I've boiled, boiled, boiled, and boiled. I stripped, stripped, stripped, and stripped. I've changed from pail to wet bag and back to pail. I've used vinegar and baking soda together and separate. I've done multiple rinses. I've done multiple hot rinses. Still the ammonia smell will knock you over sometimes.

Here is what I think is wrong. Our hot water heater is old and doesn't get really hot. We can't justify replacing it because the water is hot enough for dishwashing and bathing. My DD2 must have some strong urine too. Also, we have untreated well water that is tainted with iron/sulfur. I think this combo of things is going to make it impossible for me to CD without stinkies.

So, I'm debating on what to do. I'm thinking of boiling my stash again and giving it all to a friend who is due in May. Then, I would buy the new Huggies Natural Cotton sposies from the closest Super Wal-Mart 35 minutes away. I'm wondering if that is the better option than having stinking bacteria rich diapers next to sensitive areas of my baby girl. Does anyone have any thoughts for me, or have I fought the good fight and it is time to throw in the towel?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I know I've read your posts before but I don't recall what recommendations you received.

I think amount of detergent can make a difference... too much or too little! Just a thought. Some people, in trying to get rid of stinkies use less and less detergent, trying to get rid of the residue, but then the problem is they are not using enough.

One more thing - have you tried Calgon? Some people use that with hard water with great success. I don't, so I can't give you exact instructions, but it could help.

If all else fails, I wouldn't feel bad about switching back to sposies. We do this for a lot of reasons, but one top one is the wellbeing of our child! And if it seems like stinky, not-clean diapers don't go with that goal, then I don't think it's bad to switch!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Just brainstorming here - what about adding some hot/boiling water to the washer? Then you could have higher temperature without replacing the tank. This would only work for a top loader obviously. If you don't want to haul the water from the stove to the laundry room you could try a portable electric kettle or a bucket heater like this: http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2009/04...trial-run.html

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Boy - it looks like you're off grid and may not have easy garbage disposal.....g diapers are compostable but pricey.....and people on MDC tend to hate them....I've never used.....
If you're not using flats or prefolds I think you're going to have more problems (harder to clean, man made fabrics retain the stink and have buildup issues more than flats/prefolds). I don't know what you are using. Do they smell clean after being washed? If not they're not getting cleaned - if they just stink to high heaven after being soiled - I've noticed that the older the kid the more the stink.....
There are threads on washing on cold only.....I assume it's doable. But like the other poster said - you can add boiling water.....
Since you have covers I presume and I assume you're not using flats - I'd try them (cheap and if they don't work make GREAT dish cloths) You can get a dozen for $14......if you don't feel like messing around more - I personally give you my permission to throw in the towel! Not that you need it but sometimes you need to hear it's okay. You are the only one who can weigh the pros and cons for your situation. Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
If you do switch to disposables, I rec the 7th Gen instead. I think the huggies are an attempt at greenwashing. They are clorine bleached and all they have is a bit of organic cotton on the exterior. Plus, 7th Gen has nice plain beige exterior that is easier on the eye.

They are widely available but diapers.com or amazon have the best prices. Diapers.com is very fast, free shipping but amazon you really need to have prime to make it work, which costs a certain amount every year.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a combo of pf and flats mostly. I only have 3 fitted dipes. Proraps covers and some dappi covers. One Motherease. Garbage we keep to a minimum, but we have arranged a regular pickup that we are already paying for. Thanks for the info on the Huggies dipes. I just saw them the other day and got excited. Should of known. Ordering online isn't always easy for us if shipping UPS. UPS doesn't recognize our address as we don't have a road really. I have to have things shipped to my mother's, but if I order in bulk, it won't be too bad.

My dipes do smell clean after washing. After being soiled they smell sometimes lightly... sometimes gawd awful.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post
Try adding some TTO or GSE to the wash to help kill off bacteria. Or if you're not opposed to it, add a capful of bleach to a load every once in a while.
nak I've tried TTO but not GSE. How much of either to use?

·
Registered
530 Posts
hmmmm...with flats and prefolds, I'm surprised at stink issues (usually those are for ones with more manmade materials and/or built in covers). Do you mind posting your wash routine again (I'm too lazy to search
). I love trying to solve diaper washing mysteries. We used motherease and a frontloader, but I did was with a top loader at my dad's. I 2nd the suggestion of adding boiling water to the machine. Maybe we can help you figure it out!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Don't have much to add-- just wanted to say that I think you're a great mama for trying so hard (and so many things!) and that whatever you have to do I don't think you need to feel a bit badly about.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I haven't followed your posts, but have you tried Tide? I had the same issue, and it did not get resolved until I used Tide. I use the Tide with Dawn, and I haven't had a problem since I switched, but I had fought ammonia for over a year before that.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I first rinse out all dipes whether they are pee or poo before putting in the pail. On washing day (every 2 days), I do a cold rinse w/ nothing added. I then do a hot wash with detergent (current trial has been All Free and Clear) and a cold rinse with vinegar. Then, I do another hot rinse w/ nothing added, and another cold also with nothing. The last 2 washes I had added baking soda to the pail as it was stinking so much. Then, dried in a dryer on high heat.
Yeah, I use Gerber organic flats and prefolds (no synthetic materials there) and Green Mountain Diapers prefolds mostly. I only have 4 fitteds. 3 are terrycloth and one is organic cotton.
Thanks for the encouragement. I hate to have to stop, but I am really thinking that there isn't much more I can do. I think it's bacteria already in our water and the sulfur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.