Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try and keep this short, I really need some advice though.

Strep throat has been going around our playgroup and my DS caught it. 4 days later (Tues) I got it. Had an intense migrane all day that day and couldn't eat. Went to urgent care that night and I tested positive for strep too and they gave me abx. Got home from urgent care and my intense migrane got much worse. I could barely walk or open my eyes. DH brought Annika (2.5 months) to bed for me to nurse laying down, I could barely do that. I have never been so sick. Yesterday, DH called our family dr. who said I should go to the ER and we did. I was there all day yesterday and they gave me demerol and reglan via IV. Annika was there with me most of the time for me to nurse her.

The whole time I didn't know how she was getting anything because I couldn't keep a thing down. I didn't even try to eat, but even sipping water would make me throw up. Today, I've managed to eat a few crackers without vomiting. I'm trying hard to keep liquids in, but really it's hard to get it down.

I'm just concerned about bf'ing.... What kind of quality is it? When I was discharged from the ER he gave me hydrocodone, which is VERY strong stuff, actually took my migrane away but makes me sick to my stomach, probably why I can't keep anything down. She's still having good wet/poopy diapers and seems satisfied when she finishes eating, so is that enough? I'm just worried about her....any advice?

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Kellymom says that Hydrocodone is moderately safe to use when bf'ing.

Dh and I both had the flu at one point and we have no family near us so we had to care for dd while we were sick as dogs. I nursed her through the entire thing. She never even knew we were sick. After dh and I got better (he took tamiflu and I took lots of tylenol) she got the flu (really rsv which is likely what we had too since we didn't get a flu test). I believe that if I hadn't nursed dd would have either gotten sick quicker or gotten sicker. Her illness lasted only about 3-4 days. I hope you feel better and that your dc doesn't get sick.

· Registered
2,855 Posts
If she is satisfied and is having wet/poopy diapers, she is fine - babies are very resilient. I read about a newborn that survived 7-8 days after an earthquake simply because of his baby chub. (Although it does make my heart break to think of him crying for that long with no one comforting him *shudders*)

I'm sorry you are so sick - it must be hard to be that sick and to be bfing as well. Good job mama! I hope you feel better soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.