Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 yo (newly 3...as in 3 years and 2 days) went for his well-child check today with my dh. He was deemed healthy in every regard, but one thing bothered me. She (the doc) asked my son to draw an x for her on a piece of paper. He did so without a problem, but my dh said the doctor said "he did it, but he has an immature grip". My dh made the point that he is only 3! He loves to draw and write, but primarily uses beeswax blocks to do both. Occaisonally he uses markers and pencils and his grip looks fine to me. We are both teachers (I'm a primary teacher) and I feel pretty experienced in early childhood development, but this threw me for a loop. He can string beads, do puzzles, feed and dress himself, and do plenty of fine motor tasks. Does anyone think this is anything to worry about?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Hmm. No doc has ever checked ds's "grip." I'm not even sure what kind of grip a just-turned-three-yo should have. Well, when I took ds to a check up at 10 months the doc said, "How many words is he saying?" Words? At ten months? Huh? It is a little odd how different docs check different things.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
How strange! None of my kids have ever been tested for such thing and no one I know has ever mentioned anything like that... My kids dont really go to well checkups, so I guess I wouldnt know anyways, but my mainstream aunt in law tells me everything that happens at her kids appts (she thinks doctors are the know-all people on Earth lol) and has never mentioned it.. i dunno.. strange

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
If he can do all those other fine motor things, I wouldn't worry. Our ds (turning 6) had an immature grip, but lousy fine motor skills in other areas as well. He's been in Occupational Therapy for a year (for sensory stuff) and they've worked on his grip, and he's fine now. It's relatively easy to correct if it becomes a problem.<br><br>
You can have him work on it by giving him really small crayons and/or pencils - they force the child to use just the finger tips, and not the whole hand. But honestly, at 3, I woudln't worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts