Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that when I stop bfing that my child is more likely to get sick, becasue she won't get immunity from me. Is that true? I thought that the milk she got all this time was helping her build her immune system as opposed to providing just temporary immunity.

·
Registered
794 Posts
technically yes, but you are correct too. she has been gaining immunities from you while breastfeeding that protect her now and help build her own defenses. once you stop breastfeeding she will no longer be getting your immunities. your breastmilk has done wonderful things for her system and she is much better off then had she been formula fed, for example.

just because she stops breastfeeding doesn't mean she is automatically going to get sick. as you said, she will have her own defenses in line. plus, overall health plays an important roll. what kind of foods she eats (and doesn't) is important. whether she takes a probiotic supplement, medications, etc also factors in.

hth!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
http://www.mamadearest.ca/en/info/newman/protects.htm

Quote:
Several studies indicate that some factors in human milk may induce an infant's immune system to mature more quickly than it would were the child fed artificially.

Quote:
Finally, some evidence also suggests that an unknown factor in human milk may cause breastfed infants to produce more fibronectin on their own than do bottle-fed babies.
http://www.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/...on/black17.htm

Quote:
Acquired (specific) immunity is the immunity that is responsible for subsequent exposures to the same pathogens causing less or no disease (i.e., your becoming "immune")

Quote:
The acquisition of the antibodies in colostrum by an infant is an example of (naturally acquired) passive immunity
HTH

·
Registered
505 Posts
It works both ways. the longer you nurse the better but even a few months of nursing can give a year of protection against ear infections. When my older kids (ages 3 and 5) get sick I give them EBM to help them feel better faster and it deffinitly helps.

·
Registered
884 Posts
both of mine were nursed til age 2, and i didn't see any increase in sickness when they weaned (altho, like you, i was fearing it big time).

ds has been sick only twice in his life, both times were while he was nursing. strangely (knock wood) he hasn;t been sick at all in the 1.5 years since he weaned! dd was sick for about the first 3 months of kindergarten, but that was about it.

they are healthier ***by far*** (even post-weaning) than their age-mates who were not nursed as long (or not nursed at all
).

our doc thinks it is the combination of EB plus non-vax that makes my kids so healthy.
:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.