Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately when i drink coffee i have been getting this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.. i call it "impending doom sensation" because thats exactly what it feels like.. i feel like the world is going to come to an end or that something bad is going to hapen to someone i love.. i get anxious and freaked out (but i dont usually tell anyone because i know its mostly from the coffee..)

i guess im just wondering if this is a common occurance. im pretty sensitive to a lot of things which i try to avoid but dont do a very good job at.. namely wheat & gluten in general, dairy, citrus fruit..but i dont get the same feeling from these things as i do from coffee..

also, i try to drink only"good" coffee.. oragnic and fair rade if possible and i find that some coffee makes me feel worse than others..and i hardly ever drink coffee.. just sometimes i love the taste and the social aspect of having a coffee with someone..

anyone else get this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I get that when I shouldn't be drinking coffee; ie. one cup too many, not enough food to settle the caffeine, too tired, etc.

Try Mate! That's my newest love.
Our coffeeshop makes them just like lattes. So, I'm down to just 1 cup of coffee in the am & 1 mate in the late am. I actually do feel much better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Coffee can do this...it's the caffeine and the chemical make up of the coffee. In some people, it can create intense anxiety.

If you can't just cut out coffee right away, switch to half decaf and half regular and slowly taper it to get to 100% decaf and then slowly taper off of that if you're still feeling that sensation.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I used to get this, after I had my third child. What it really was, was that my adrenal glands were pretty tapped, plus I was exhausted from dealing with some health issues and three small children. The caffeine was just more than my body could handle and I would freak out. I know exactly what you mean by the impneding doom feeling.

I went to an acupuncturist and she helped me to build my body back up so that I wasn't so depleted. I think what was happening was that my body was so tapped that the "wiring" was just going all funky, yk? It's been a battle. I stopped tandem nursing and that has helped. And I don't feel as tired and foggy anymore.

I dunno, just wanted to say I know how you feel. Try going to acupuncture if you can -- it really helps.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have had that in the past, usually with strong coffee. Hint: the dark roasts actually have the least caffeine and thus are less likely to cause anxiety. 'Light' roasts are, paradoxically, the 'heaviest' in terms of caffeine load.

If you are prone to anxiety, you might want to consider switching to espresso. One shot of espresso actually has quite a bit less caffeine than 8 oz. of "American" coffee. I simply cannot drink coffee from Starbucks, etc. because it makes my heart race and I often sweat and have anxiety, plus it often causes my blood sugar to drop. However, even a triple latte is fine. A regular latte from SB has abou 70 mg of caffeine but a 12 oz. regular coffee has nearly 300, I think. I will have to look that up for you.

I drink a Triple Grande Latte (3 shots of espresso) every day but have no caffeine-related side effects. I almost never drink regular coffee anymore, but if I do, I drink no more than 4 oz. and use milk or cream if it is available.

I once had a very scary panic attack after drinking too much coffee. It really can cause major anxiety symptoms!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.