Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have like this dent in the middle of my insision! Is that normal? It doesn't even look like I was cut in the middle, and my pelvis looks swollen! I don't have insurance anymore and not sure what to do about this! My incision looks like this _________(dent in middle, no middle incision line)__________! Has anybody has this? If so, is it normal, will it go away, and should I see a doctor?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does the dent go inwards very far? My incision is bumpy, it has smoothed out over time, but it's dented here and there I guess you could say. It only goes in MAYBE 1/6th of an inch though in those "dented" areas.

If it begins to smell, leak anything, grow, or hurt - I'd say it's time to see a dr probably.

ETA: When was your baby born?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well, if the incision is new, monitor yourself for signs of infection. But mine does the same thing, and it seems merely to be a quirk of how the scar formed.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Mine looks very clean in the middle, too, and more pronounced on the sides. Unless there seems to be a problem, I would assume it's just a variation of normal. (My surgery was nearly 2 years ago.)

I'm not sure about the swollen pelvis.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had my baby 3 months ago. it does hurt from time to time but i think it's cause i'm hurting the muscles when i excersize. it's dented in when i lay down but when i'm standing i have like this over hang.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
It sounds normal to me, of course if you are in a lot of pain still or have any signs of infection don't hesitate to get care. I've had three c-sections so my scar is kinda weird cause it healed differently each time and some of the scar tissue was cut out for my 3rd.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Sorry to hear you are still experiencing pain. It can be normal even six months to a year later. I remember having pain for a very long time. It wasn't constant, but every now and then when I would stretch too hard or lay on the floor playing with my baby. It sucks, but it should eventually go away.

The overhang thing is called a 'shelf' or 'apron'. It can be due to pregnancy alone, but many times it is a result of the surgery. I have one, too. Well, not right now since I am 40+ weeks pregnant, but normally it's there. What happens is the doctors don't often take the time to put the fat back below the incision when closing you up. So there's an excess of fat over the incision that either stands out or hangs over.

I don't think any two scars heal alike, so there's probably a wide variation of normal with how they look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts