Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on a WAHM site that Imse Vimse Bumpy Covers are machine washable so I ordered one, but when I got it the tag only gives instructions for handwashing. Can you wash it in the washer? If so, how? I was hoping to throw it in with the regular dipes and then line dry - is that okay? If not, what do I have to do special? TIA!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If it's wool, you need to hand-wash it. If it's a laminated fabric (a bumpy day or a bumpy night), we always washed ours in the washer. BUT, for some reason, they get dingy faster than anything else, so I always waited until I was tossing in a load of whites instead of washing them with diaper. That kept them looking brighter longer.

amber

·
Registered
105 Posts
**Actually** here is the response I got about machine washing directly from Imse Vimse when I asked the same question:

"Woollen pants can be washed in machine 40 degree Celcius, but not higher. Some people says sometimes that the woollen pants could be washed in 90 degree celcius BUT I have never tried it and the fabric is not recommended for that either."

40'C=~104'F

Hope that helps,

-Eric

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the WAHM site I saw the quote was referring to the wool ones.

"At last, a wool cover you can wash in your washing machine!"

Incidentally, this is not the site I bought the cover from, but
i checked beforehand to see if they were the same product.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got a bumpy wool cover and although the tag said machine washable, I've been too afraid to try. I just handwash with a wool wash bar. This is probably a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway. If you are going to machine wash do you just wash with woolite or something in cold water on delicate?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudopunk
I just got a bumpy wool cover and although the tag said machine washable, I've been too afraid to try. I just handwash with a wool wash bar. This is probably a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway. If you are going to machine wash do you just wash with woolite or something in cold water on delicate?
Just bumping to see if there is an answer to this question. Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If we're talking about a Bumpy Wool cover, I've verified that they fare just fine in 90 degrees Centigrade washes which is 194 degrees Fahrenheit.

Didn't even need to re-lanolize.

-E

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I haven't machine washed wool used for diapering, but I would be inclined to use Eucalan rather than woolite--I would be worried the woolite would strip the wool and then you would have to relanolize.

A thing that complicates the machine washing of diapering wooling my mind is that generally the kind of stuff that is good for washing wool is not good for washing diapers. In most cases you wouldn't have enough soiled covers to make up a whole load, so hand washing seems more appropriate to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.