Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am a mom of 5 kids and only one parent works,my wonderful hubby that is.i am a sahm,i have a very small stash of diapers for my baby girl 8 months old weighing in at 27 pounds,and they are pushing the not fitting stage,an my toddler son,60 + pounds is learning to potty train and has no training pants,and only 1 cover that fits him for a prefold at night.i am planning on making diapers ect for them,but the prob is i have no material or $$$$ for the material for this project,and i am in some major need of these things.could any of you wonderful sewing moms advise on how to get these things for very little $$$ or donations.i stay home with the kids and homeschool the 3 older ones,so money is very limited around here.please help if possible.
God Bless

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
You don't need expensive cloth to make very good cloth diapers. The best soaker I made for my sister was out of a 100% gap t-shirt, cut up and sewn together with 2 layers of terry.

You can make wool covers out of recycled wool sweaters from the thrift store.

You can buy velour pant suits at the thrift store and use those to make diapers.

Old towels, flannels robes or shirts can be turned into diapers. I've found very cheap flannel on sale at Joann fabric ($1/yard) and I check the remnant bin for fleece to make covers.

Take a look around at the other posts here, and I'm sure you'll find more thrifty, creative and stylish ways to diaper your babes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with pp that you could use old t-shirts, flannel bathrobes, receiving blankets, baby towels, sweatshirts etc. There is also this link, www.fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html that shows how to make prefolds and fitted diapers plus sweater soakers from these items. Thriftstores are great, too, I found three yards of jersey for $3 that made a dozen fitted diapers for my son. If you are interested check out www.miraclediapers.com they provide cloth diapers and covers for low income families. And maybe look in the TP here, there is a forum of free things if you are willing to pay shipping.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm totally using some of my hubby's old socks as soakers!!! Get some of the ratty socks and use those bad boys as stuffers. Totally work. You can get flannel sheets at Good Will for cheapo or at garage sales...t-shirts work, and get you some gerber pull on plastic pants from walmart. You get 6 covers for like $6 dollars and they do the job well. Get some big safety pins and keep them in a bar of soap and those suckers slide right in to whatever you are using as a diaper.

You can do this. Hit up your family for old flannel sheets or old t-shirts and cotton socks....you'll be doing great.

·
Registered
222 Posts

My dh lost his job when I was pregnant with my last one. We also homeschool our three older kids, so I really feel you here. I made all my ds's diapers from recycled stuff around the house - old holey t-shirts, ratty towels, an old bath robe, fabric scraps from the Christmas jammies. My midwife made me three wool soakers and I did a few bumsweaters and longies from sweaters at goodwill on sale for 50 cents each because I bought them in the summer. If you work it right, you can get two bumsweaters and a pair of longies from each grown up sweater. This actually saves money on clothes also since they are now "dressed" with just a shirt on top instead of needing some kind of pants too.
For your big guy, I know pins will be tougher because he's potty training. The wool covers will still work. but maybe you can focus on making him some great absorbant underpants to go under the soakers and just pass those nice roomy dipes right on down to sister.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Dollar days at Salvation Army. In our store, everyweekend items with a randomly specific color tag are $1. I get tons of wool sweaters from all over the store. Two wraps per sweater.

Freecycle. Make a wanted post. Ask for ratty t-shirts and holey wool sweaters. Tell them what you'll be doing with them. You're likely to get BAGS.

Friends and family. Same as above.

Local Clothes Closet. I have a deal with a local clothes closet that they keep the all cotton t-shirts and wool sweaters that can't be put out due to holes or inappropriate sayings in a garbage bag for me. As soon as the bag is full, I pick it up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow nothing more I can add everyone said it great. I also homeschool and am a sahm of 5 so I completely understand the $$ and make lots of recycled diapers and covers. You can do it, just have to be creative. God Bless and good luck, keep up the good work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts