Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new ds (born July 2) and am looking for activities my dh can do with our 28 month old ds when he gets home from work. We had an argument last night about him not giving ds1 enough quality attention. As dh is in poor health, they can't be really vigorous activities. I asked him if he needs me to post a list on the fridge. He said "sure". So here we go. I'd love any additional recommendations! (oh yeh, we are also car-free)

1. Draw, colour, paint...(ds loves this)
2. Build lego.
3. Build train set.
4. Read (but ds isn't really too interested yet)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
When all else fails and you *must* do something like handle an important call, give him a roll of masking tape and point him toward a dining chair. Or a pad of post-its, or those page-marking things that come in a little dispenser, and let him put them all over. Easy to clean up, doesn't hurt anything, and they love things like this. Or let them take out all the tissues in a box.

As for ordinary activities, Playful Learning is a good book. Don't forget play-doh, a lite-brite, puzzles, puzzles, puzzles! A sandbox or sand table if you only have limited outdoor space.

And of course, helping dad with anything dad needs to do. Harder on dad, but wonderful for the toddler.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Ask a neighbor for a big empty box -- that's my DS's favorite!

Play silks

A magnifying glass

hand puppets

cars/ balls/ blocks

dress up (DS loves playing pirate and we hunt for treasure coins)

small wading pool in the shade and some cups and strainers

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Right now, my DD (who is around the age of your DS) loves to sit with DH and put coins in her piggy bank. We have a little pink piggy bank that says something like "oh, yumm" when she puts the coins in the slot (her only mainstream toy). They sit together and he tells her the name of the coins, how much they're worth, or the story of the coins gathered from our trips around the world (pre-baby).

And there are always walks and bicycle rides for quality one-on-one time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
1. Blow bubbles and pop them! You can definitely do that sitting while they run around tiring themself out.

2. Take him outside and make a mud puddle and let him play in it.

3. Tea set/Kitchen food stuff--let him make you something to drink and eat. Pretend picnic....and then feed the stuffed animals and any dolls and cars, etc.

4. Playdough--I know has alrady been mentioned, but add new toys with it like cookie cutters and it's like a brand new game.

5. Play in the bath with finger pants, toys, measuring cups, etc.

6. Practice making animal noises and the different signs for animals (Baby Signs is a great resource!)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
DS is 23 months and loves his teaset. He calls it TEE-SIT! He also loves anything kitchen like, especially fake plastic food that comes in play kitchens. He likes his baby dolls, and he likes making forts in the living room. He also likes fingerpainting, and he is just now really getting into reading.

A lite-brite is a good idea!

I also saw someone in our preschool make a cool thing -- they took a foam block and shoved golf tees into it. Then gave the kids a plastic hammer. They had a great time putting them in and pulling them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts