Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ack! I don't know what I did wrong but, it's not very good chili and I have a HUGE pot of it

If I had to guess I'm thinking I added too much green bell pepper and the spices aren't right. I can't put my finger on it but, it's not very chili like.

Here is the spice mix I used- http://www.recipezaar.com/Chili-Spice-Mix-290005

Needless to say I am NOT happy with it.

Help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
What else did you put in it?

I like to put black, pinto, and baked beans in mine plus corn and green chilis. A small can of crushed tomatoes and the secret? Peanut Butter. Or since you already have brown sugar in there, yellow mustard is a great addition!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put one can of diced toms and chilis, 2 cans of diced toms, 2 cans tom paste, 2 cans kidney beans(I hate using canned beans but, I was in a pinch), 2 small chopped onions, a few chopped cloves of garlic, and a small chopped bell pepper. Water to desired thickness, it's fairly thick.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually ran out trying to fix my stupid chili and need to go out here in a minute for more.

So, what are YOUR spice ratios for a wicked awsome chili? (this is to everyone)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I put a couple of tbs of chili powder and of cumin. Sometimes maple syrup, sometimes brown sugar. A whole onion, several cloves of garlic. Sometimes a chopped up chile in adobo sauce (I keep 'em frozen). I like using a big can of Muir Glen fire roasted crushed tomatoes. I used to use diced, but the crushed make a thicker sauce. Oh, and apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoon. And some chicken stock if it seems too dry.

Oh, and I never ever ever ever put bell peppers in my chili. Diced carrots sometimes. Corn sometimes. But never bell peppers.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
This is the spice mixture I use for 2 pounds of meat.

1 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Cumin
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Tarragon
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cocoa powder
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp White Pepper (sub black if you don't have white)
1/4 tsp Cayenne

At a guess, I'd say it's the cumin you're missing, since the chili/cumin ratio in that recipe is a bit off. But in a pinch, I've used worcestershire sauce to get that smokey deep flavor.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
The recipe you used is like a spice rub for meat. Something you would then grill.

Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe. I just wing it.
:

Oh, I never put green peppers in my Chili. Chopped chilies yes. Especially if I have roasted chilies in the house.

Spices I do use are:

Ground Cumin
Chili Powder
Cayenne

Roasted Chilies
Chopped onion
Sometimes a little chopped garlic

Ground Beef or Ground Turkey.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I always put bell pepper in mine--never had a problem. For spices I use chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and black pepper. What makes mine good is beer! About 3/4 of a bottle full of a good lager in a big pot of chili. Yum!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
darn bell pepper

today is just not my day on soooo many levels.....
You know what I was thinking? Put it in the fridge overnight. Reheat tomorrow and see where you are at. The flavors in stews and chili can change overnight with refrigeration.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I think you need a lot more spice in general. For that many beans and tomatoes, I'd start with 6 tbs of chili powder, a whole lot more salt and another 2 tbs of cumin. Possibly even more than this, but taste to be sure. I use green peppers when I have them, so I don't think that would cause a problem. Oh, and garlic powder/granulated garlic, if you've got it. And black pepper.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Omgoodness. I just made the most kickin' chili thanks to this thread!
I always knew there was something "not quite right" about my chili (and it's still not *perfect*, but I'm only working with 1/2 my spices at present- the rest are floating around in some box somewhere
). The thing I was missing? Cumin.
: I had an inkling but I thought I'd be end up with cumin overkill, iykwim, so I was too hesitant to add it.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Omgoodness. I just made the most kickin' chili thanks to this thread!
I always knew there was something "not quite right" about my chili (and it's still not *perfect*, but I'm only working with 1/2 my spices at present- the rest are floating around in some box somewhere
). The thing I was missing? Cumin.
: I had an inkling but I thought I'd be end up with cumin overkill, iykwim, so I was too hesitant to add it.
Thanks!
:
:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.