Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of you are great at responding to ppl who come here wondering if they should circ or not. I thought it might be nice for some of you to write a type of form letter. I'm thinking that this type of letter would be something that could be emailed to a friend when they annouce that they are having a boy. I tend to get too wordy, and I think the phrasing and tone of the letter is really important. If the wording is too strong, it will turn the person off.

I thought something that started out with, "Congratulations! It's wonderful that you are having a boy! It might not be my business, but I want to encourage you to research circumcision before making a decision." Ideally it would include some links and not include the phrases child/sexual abuse!
Maybe it would breifly address some of the reasons ppl circ (infections, easy to clean, look like dad, locker room, HIV).

Anyone want to play? I thought if we came up with a great email (not too long either) maybe we could make it a sticky.
:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll give it a shot!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Naturally you have a million things to think about - choosing a name, breastfeed or bottle, cloth diapers or disposable - the list seems endless!

And if your precious baby happens to be a boy, you might be thinking about whether or not he should be circumcised. Well, I have really good news for you - he does NOT have to be circumcised! Circumcision is a purely elective operation which removes the foreskin from the end of the penis. In the US, circumcision is so common that it almost seems like the natural thing to do, but frankly, there's nothing natural about cutting off part of your son's genitals. In most of the world, cutting off a baby's foreksin is as bizarre as cutting off his ears!

Doesn't it seem strange that circumcision is so popular if it isn't necessary? The truth is, non-religious circumcision began as a way to stop boys from masturbating! For some reason, doctors kept looking for medical reasons to do it. Circumcision has been believed to prevent not only masturbation, but UTIs, HIV, penile cancer and epilepsy! We know understand that men with foreskins can and do get ALL of those things - circumcision prevents nothing. No medical organization in the world recommends infant circumcision for medical benefits.

What about social issues? Many parents worry that their son will be teased if he has a foreskin, but the truth is, as the circumcision rate declines, there's no way to predict if the school bully will have a foreskin or not. Since we can teach our sons to deal with being teased about being too short, too tall, too fat, too thin, or for having funny hair or freckles or braces or acne, I think we can also teach our sons to deal with teasing about their foreksin (if, in fact, anyone would admit to looking).

Some parents worry that their son will be confused if his penis does not "match" his father's. The truth is, a little boy's penis does not look anything like an adult penis! Little boys are much more interested in differences of size, color and hair than they are about the absence of a foreskin.

It's important to understand that circumcision is NOT "just a snip". It is a painful, traumatic operation, and like any other operation carries risks, including excessive bleeding, infection, and amputation of part of the glans or removal of too much foreskin. Meatal stenosis, a narrowing of the urethra, is found exclusively in circumcised boys, and sometimes requires surgery to repair. Circumcision shortly after birth can interfere with bonding and breastfeeding.

It's also important to remember that the foreskin is not "a useless flap of skin"; it is an integral part of the penis, and the penis is designed to function with a foreskin. it is a perfectly normal, healthy part of the male body, not a birth defect that needs to be "fixed" right away!

Finally, circumcision is permanent. A man with a foreskin who wants to be circumcised always has that option, but a man who is circumcised must live with that decision for the rest of his life. Since it's impossible to predict how your son will feel aobut it, the safest course of action is no action at all - leave his foreskin alone.

Please feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any questions!

From the mother of two boys with foreskins

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A&A: Great website! It's in my favorites now! Thanks! You know all my pg friends will be hearing from me!

Nd Deadhead: I love the email! Good job! The tone is perfect! I'm going to save your post and email with the website to any and all preggos I know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.