Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5 and 1/2 weeks pregnant. I have been bleeding steadily but not very heavily since Wed. evening. I had my HCG checked yesterday and found out today that it is only 30. Would you call that conclusive evidence of a miscarriage or would you have your HCG retested on Monday?

I am having a hard time admitting this is a miscarriage. I have been crampy but I haven't really had any hard cramps at all.

I am just very tired and sad.

Any advice would be appreciated very much. This is so hard.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
30 seems pretty low for 5.5 weeks. I'm so sorry. Are you sure about your dates?
I would go back and get a repeat HCG just to make sure if you aren't sure.

mama.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I would get a repeat hcg no matter what. 30 is low but stranger things have happened so I wouldn't think one hcg means anything spicific.

no matter what the outcome, I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Hey, mama

I was in your place just two weeks ago. I'm so sorry. I can let you know what helped me - I went to the sticky on this "what to expect" sticky on this page and did a search for my # of weeks and read some miscarriage stories. It was really helpful for me to know what to expect, what to do, how long it would take and things like that.

Of course, you should also still be hopeful. I also read a bunch of really nice stories of threatened or suspected MCs that went on to be viable pregnancies.

I can't help too much with the testing as I didn't do that. I ended up staying home for the whole thing and was really happy that that's what I decided to do but I can also totally see why someone would want some tests.

Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I would definitely ask for another hcg check. 30 is low, but it's within the normal range (for 5 weeks the range is 18-7,340 mIU/ml, so you can see there's a huge variation).

My first hcg at 4w5d (I think!) was only 56.47. 48 hours later it was 142.70, and then another 48 hours later it was 384. So on it's own, 56 sounds low, but my numbers were well within the normal range and doubled as expected.

I'm not trying to give false hope or say you're *not* miscarrying, but I would absolutely suggest a second hcg check. Having those two numbers to compare will mean a lot more than just the one on it's own.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'd also go for another numbers check. Either way, this is a tough and stressful time. I'm so sorry that you're having to worry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.