Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish I'd had this book before DS2 was born- maybe I would have had a better experience and even avoided a repeat C-section!! Anyone who has, or may have, ANYTHING to deal with (emotionally) should read this book before this baby is born (IMO)!! I feel like she is speaking directly to ME, and she knows exaclty what I need to hear to prepare for this birth. Just reading it (I'll do the exercises after I'm done reading), I can feel myself becoming more prepared for this birth mentally, and like I'm gearing up to let go of a lot of fear, anger, and resentment that got in the way of DS2's birth, and would certainly get in the way of this baby's birth.

Anybody else feel this way or have this experience with this book? Any comments or suggestions about the activities she suggests? And are there any classes that use this as a guide in SE Virginia?

I'll probably post again when I finish the book.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I love BFW. I am not into the birth art, I am not artsy or creative at all, but the content of the book is pretty awesome. I recommend it to clients regularly as well.

I'm so glad you are so inspired by it, that's awesome

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
I really wish I'd had this book before DS2 was born- maybe I would have had a better experience and even avoided a repeat C-section!! Anyone who has, or may have, ANYTHING to deal with (emotionally) should read this book before this baby is born (IMO)!! I feel like she is speaking directly to ME, and she knows exaclty what I need to hear to prepare for this birth. Just reading it (I'll do the exercises after I'm done reading), I can feel myself becoming more prepared for this birth mentally, and like I'm gearing up to let go of a lot of fear, anger, and resentment that got in the way of DS2's birth, and would certainly get in the way of this baby's birth.

Anybody else feel this way or have this experience with this book? Any comments or suggestions about the activities she suggests? And are there any classes that use this as a guide in SE Virginia?

I'll probably post again when I finish the book.

I absolutely felt the same way when I read the book. It spoke to me, and I learned so much about myself. Because of that, I decided to become a Birthing from Within mentor just over 3 years ago and have loved every minute of it. I'm sure that there is someone teaching near you. Look on the website http://www.birthingfromwithin.com, they have a listing of everyone currently mentoring. I think there is a lot of value in taking a class, but you can also do all of the activities at home.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amynf1 View Post
I love BFW. I am not into the birth art, I am not artsy or creative at all, but the content of the book is pretty awesome. I recommend it to clients regularly as well.

I'm so glad you are so inspired by it, that's awesome

I'm not artsy or creative either, but I find the art to be such an important part of exploring the emotions surrounding birth. They are such a great way to process through your feelings and lead to some really great conversations.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amynf1 View Post
I love BFW. I am not into the birth art

That's so funny because that's what stuck out to me the most. I haven't read the whole book (had to return it to the library) but I love the idea of birth art!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am going to order it this week. I had a very unplanned c-section last time and I will probably have a home birth this time. I havn't met my midwife yet, our first meeting is next week but her assistant, who also had a c-section followed by vbac's recommended that I read it. I have heard so many good things about it. I can't wait to start reading it.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Another book that really helped me (did love BFW, and most of the MW here teach BFW childbirth classes) was Rebounding from Childbirth, it's really good if you had a traumatic birth experience. Also, An Easier Childbirth is a great "workbook" type book that you can do on your own pace that is really good too.

I'm so glad you are reading this, there is so much healing after a birth that didn't go the way you expected.

Happy Birthing!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got a lot out of the book too - even though I didn't do the arty projects.

The thing that stuck with me through my labor was the mantra: "It's going to be hard work; it's going to be painful; I can do it!"

Since I'm chugging Red Rasberry tea this time, who knows if that will all be true (lol!)

But going into the birth being comfortable with these ideas somehow made me really calm about the pain and work. I felt like I could just get down to business and accept the process.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
Ok I am interested in buying this BFW book because it is newer 2007

http://www.amazon.ca/Birthing-Within...6438454&sr=8-5

but the one I see all over the place is this from 1998

http://www.amazon.ca/Birthing-Within...6438454&sr=8-9

Are they essentially the same book but one is newer? I can't seem to find a review on the newer book so I am not sure.
The newer book is called a "Keepsake Journal." I give one to every woman who takes my class. It's different from Birthing from Within. I would say get the original book. Then, get the Keepsake Journal if you want more exercises to explore your feeling about birth or if you are not going to take a BFW class.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
That's so funny because that's what stuck out to me the most. I haven't read the whole book (had to return it to the library) but I love the idea of birth art!

I'm sure it's a personality thing. I am just not visual at all. I do not have a creative bone in my body and I just don't process that way. Other than the actual art part of it, which I do see how can be helpful to other people, I absolutely love the book.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yay!! Thanks for the great suggestions, ladies. I'm glad it's such a popular and well-liked book. I'm still reading it, and I'm marking it up for DH to read (I usually pre-screen stuff for him & mark the parts he can skip, lol). The closest classes would be close to 2 hours away (as listed on the BFW website linked above).
I might decide just to take the midwife's class and then do this at home with DH on our own. My parents are both therapists, so maybe they could help interpret & work through whatever issues come up with the artsy stuff.

I'm not at all artsy, and can't draw a circle. But I really think her ideas about using art to discover and work through issues is profound. I can also see how sand tray (a technique my parents love to utilize in their practice where you arrange little figurines, props, etc. in a table-top sand box) would be a good addition or substitute to BFW's suggestions. Hmmm....

·
Registered
882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
Yay!! Thanks for the great suggestions, ladies. I'm glad it's such a popular and well-liked book. I'm still reading it, and I'm marking it up for DH to read (I usually pre-screen stuff for him & mark the parts he can skip, lol). The closest classes would be close to 2 hours away (as listed on the BFW website linked above).
I might decide just to take the midwife's class and then do this at home with DH on our own. My parents are both therapists, so maybe they could help interpret & work through whatever issues come up with the artsy stuff.
You may want to ask around the MW community, some MW teach classes that combo the BFW and Bradley, etc. So I don't know if they would be listed as BFW instructors, but they do utilize the art side of it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manessa View Post
The newer book is called a "Keepsake Journal." I give one to every woman who takes my class. It's different from Birthing from Within. I would say get the original book. Then, get the Keepsake Journal if you want more exercises to explore your feeling about birth or if you are not going to take a BFW class.
I made my order yesterday. I ordered this,

which, as far as I can tell isn't the keepsake journal like this...

http://www.amazon.ca/Our-Birthing-Wi...6537125&sr=1-1

It has the almost the same name as the 1998 book but was published in 2007. I hope it is the same.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
I made my order yesterday. I ordered this,

which, as far as I can tell isn't the keepsake journal like this...

http://www.amazon.ca/Our-Birthing-Wi...6537125&sr=1-1

It has the almost the same name as the 1998 book but was published in 2007. I hope it is the same.
I'm a dork and didn't even look at your links...sorry
Anyway, you are right and the 2007 book is basically the 1998 book just updated. The Keepsake Journal is something different. I'm glad you ordered it, I think you will really enjoy reading it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.