Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD was potty trained at 18 months but 5 months later decided it was boring and now at 2.5 usually pees her pants. She holds is as long as possible and when I see her underwear a tiny bit wet, or sprinkles on the floor, I try and get her to go and she says no, and says she doesn't need to go, etc.

We used to use stickers as an incentive but that got old and boring for her. I don't give her candy, so what else can I use as a new incentive besides stickers?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
First off, don't ask. If you as your dd if she wants a piece of cake at this age she might say "no!" anyway
. Just tell her what you observe and take her to the potty. "You're dancing around and grabbing yourself. That looks like you need to pee. Do you want to go to the downstairs bathroom or use mommy's bathroom?"

As for making her more willing:
Do you have toys for the bathroom only? Preferably something she really really loved at someone else's house or in the store?

And you change her right away when she's wet, right? And that process isn't horrible or anything, but it is as boring as you can make it within reason.

So basically, stopping to use the potty is more fun than not stopping to use the potty.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
we used a variety of things...usually tiny treats that weren't too terrible to give a couple times a day including

mini marshmallows (big hit & probably the least sugary/bad for you)
M & M's
swedish fish
chocolate chips
popsicles

The mini marshmallows really worked. They get smart fast, though, and may start asking for them before hand. I used to walk DS over to the potty luring him like a little puppy.
:

But, truth be told, if she's not ready, she's not ready. One day DS was dry overnight, then he was dry all day, then I could leave his diaper off for naps, leave the house w/o a diaper, then no diaper at night after he was dry for like 3 weeks straight. Before I knew it, no diapers at all. Hooray! And he did it himself.

I would put her back into diapers. And not nice dry ones, either, wet cold ones that will remind her how miserable diapers are. If she's refusing completely to potty, it may be easier for all of you. She may get embarrassed or self-concious and start using it willingly.

Oh, some friends of ours used a different system. They got a couple bags of those shiny glass stones from the dollar store and a glass jar. Every time their kids were good, they put a stone in the jar. When they were naughty, they took one out. When it was full, they got to go to something special, or get some toy they had been asking after. A very visual way to see that your actions have consequences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.