Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the long title...the post is a little long too.
The nonbolded part is all background, the bold is what's really important...and since I'm desperate for answers here, if you're in a rush, just read the bold part. That's how accomodating I am.

I nursed my son through my daughter's pregnancy, although I had to supplement towards the end. When nursing I experienced pain only when he bit me because he was frustrated with the lowered milk supply and/or the different taste of the milk when I was pregnant.

When I was pregnant with #3, I nursed my daughter for about three months through the pregnancy. At one point I started having strong cramps - I thought it was the beginning of a miscarriage - but my very BF/NCB-friendly OB suggested that it might have been uterine contractions triggered by breastfeeding.

My doula told me that in first pregnancies, you don't notice uterine contractions as much. I had no BH-cntx with my first pregnancy at all. By my third pregnancy, I felt like I could feel everything. I had BH-contx starting in the second trimester and lasting approximately FOREVER. I had to wean DD when I was 4mo pregnant because nursing was causing me so much pain, and I was dreading having to nurse. We barely made it to two years.
Now my youngest daughter is six months old and I am due next July/August. I really want to nurse her for AT LEAST the first year of her life, preferrably two years. I'm worried, though, that I am already feeling slight cramping sometimes when I nurse her. Is this going to cause a problem? Will the increased cramping = increased chance of miscarriage?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I nursed through my fourth pregnancy. I did have cramping but no PTL or any other issues. Actually #4 was my very first 'late' baby.

Keri

·
Registered
873 Posts
After a run-in with one of the other docs in my OB's group who basically accused me of child abuse because I was still nursing my son while pg with #2 I looked into this topic. My sis is a 4th year med student going in to Obstetrics (and she happened to be in the middle of a high-risk OB/perinatology rotation) and I had her check with the head of the perinatology at the University of Pittsburgh hospital. Word is, as long as you don't have a history of pre-term labour and are taking care of yourself nutritionally then there is no reason not to continue nursing if that's what you want to do. BH will often start earlier and feel more intense and may be triggered by the nipple stimulation of nursing, but this will rarely set of true contractions (though it can help true labor along once it has actually started).

Having said all that, I found nursing to get more and more uncomfortable as my pregnancy progressed and am more than happy that ds pretty much completely self-weaned a few months ago when my supply took a nose dive. DS was just over 2 at the time, so it wasn't too worried, I know deciding to wean a 6 m/o would be a much more difficult choice. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your expanding family!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I'd like to add that I did have PTL with #2 - I went into labor at 28 weeks and with meds and bedrest carried him to 37 weeks. And still carried my 4th baby to 40 weeks 4 days while nursing #3 the duration

I went on to tandem nurse for 27 months

I do think it is true that you get more cramping/contractions with subsequent pregnancies but that is regarless whether you are nursing or not. I get contractions daily now pregnant with #5 and I'm no longer nursing.

Keri

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, everyone, my mind is at ease.
I am hoping to keep a supply of EBM in the deep freezer in case it starts to hurt too badly, but hopefully I can tandem nurse again after the pregnancy is over.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nursing through pregnancy may cause BH contractions but these is NOT preterm labor. Nursing will NOT cause preterm labor unless you are predisposed to it. If you are worried that the BH contractions are preterm labor-- they can do a simple swap test to rule it out.

I nursed through my pregnancy and did experience BH contractions and had not had these at all with my 1st pregnancy.

I had a wonderful, painless 4 1/2 hour labor with #2 and she is doing great!

Keep nursing if you want!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It's a common myth that nusing while pregnant can cause increased liklihood of miscarriage; and nursing is not counterindicated to pregnancy (unfortunately it's not commonly accepted, so you're likely to encounter opposition - but, you KNOW the benefits of breastfeeding, so as long as you're armed with info, you can safely ignore the naysayers!) unless your pregnancy has OTHER factors which could increase the liklihood of miscarriage or preterm labor (like carrying multiples).

I am currently nursing my daughter 26 months, 4 - 6x per day and at least 2x per night, and 12 weeks pregnant. What really set my mind at ease, and helped me to make the decision (which felt right to me anyway) to continue nursing was reading "Adventures in Tandem Nursing", by Hilary Flower. It's a great book; I highly recommend it!

You can also visit her site, which has lots of helpful information about nursing two, and she will answer email questions about tandem nursing (and nursing while pregnant):
http://nursingtwo.kellymom.com/

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I nursed my first for a month while pg with DS and then weaned him because of nipple pain. I nursed my 2nd all the way through the first trimester and he got down to 1 time a day and finally weaned...I could have gone a little longer but it was getting painful and I was having bh contrax during bfing. I did have bleeding (unidentified) in both my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies at around 6 weeks lasting between 1 week and 10 days. I don't know if it had anything to do with the bfing or not but I never bled with my 1st pg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am having the same questions, so I'm happy to have found this thread. I had strong BH with my first pregnancy starting the 2nd trimester and lasting forever! I was evaluated for PTL at 24 and 32 weeks but it was only BH. For my second pregnancy, I miscarried at 7 weeks while nursing my son heavily, that is frequently throughout the day and night and never knew if it was related. Now with my 3rd pregnancy, I am nursing my DS 2x a day (sometimes more), and have started to feel BH starting at 17/18 weeks (I am 19 weeks). I had an orgasm in the 18th week and had strong BH for 2 days which scared me!! Since then I am feeling them often throught the day. They are worse when I don't get to rest during the day (so I am trying to get my feet up at some point), and I feel them when nursing. I DON'T WANT to have to stop nursing, and will be distressed if I'm advised by my MW to do so. If this pregnancy will be like my first, I have a long road ahead of me with BH that will and will not be r/t breastfeeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts