Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Any other midwives or apprentice midwives here who are not planning to get the narm cert. or get licensed?  Sometimes with all the talk about cpm this and cpm that, it seems that people have forgotten that there's more than one way to become or be a midwife.  Who else here considers the trust women put in them enough of a title?</p>

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
<p> </p>
<p> I've <strong>never</strong> liked the idea of certifications, which I think tend to have a hypnotic effect upon people IYKWIM.  Clients see certificates on the wall of the office, and they start to make a lot of assumptions about both the skills and integrity of the provider--generally speaking, of course.  Providers attain certificates, and they start to make assumptions too--about their power in the relationship and also, about having 'arrived' in skills/competence (again, this is a generalization).  This is my general attitude toward certifications and degrees, and it goes beyond mws to all care providers and really, any type of work--wave that paper in front of their/our eyes, and we all get sorta hypnotized!  Some more or less than others, and some not at all...but it is such a powerful trend in our cultural mindset, I think few really escape entirely from that hypnotic effect.  Or another way to say it is that certs cast a sort of spell upon all involved...and client trust comes too easily.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That said, it would be nice to be legal!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for NARM, I love the underlying philosophy but IRL it is too easy to abuse the system.  This is especially troubling to me in view of the above paragraph. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I think I know what you mean--and yeah, I find earning client trust is my most valued  goal.  It is my clients who make me feel I've earned the title of midwife, whatever the law or certifications... and makes the law and certs mean less, seem less dauntingly complicated.</p>

·
Registered
754 Posts
<p>I don't think having multiple options to the same goal a bad thing. It just means we will serve even more women including those who feel a need to have credentials applied to their midife. Of the 7 midwives in the area there is one CNM and one licensed midwife. They are the bussiest by far. Just saying sometimes it is what people need. My 2 preceptors aren't licensed and never will. I will take the NARM but will not license likely. It is important for me to add one for thing to show that I have learned what I want and need to (on top of feeling ready, my preceptors saying I am finished etc.) I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I was self taught and have had two apprenticeships over 3 plus years plus 5 years of birth work prior to that. I think that provides a superior education compared to most structured programs, but I am thankful that there are multiple options availible to train even more midwives to serve even more women.</p>
<p>I</p>

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
<p>I am doing an old fashioned apprenticeship and not going to school. I am with a very traditional midwife and have had the opportunity to also attend some births with other less traditional midwives as well as licensed midwives. There is a huge difference, of course, but what I have learned is that the midwife makes the call...not the certificate or license.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am going to get my CPM. <span style="text-decoration:underline;">For me.</span> I don't think it will protect me, or say anything about me as a person to others. But it is an end to a goal and I hope to go somewhere for a week, sans children...study, test, and then do nothing for a couple of days. A vacation!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As far as licensing, for me to practice in my close neighboring state, I have to be licensed there. Not here in my state. I will be licensed there. Again, I don't have any false sense of security about it protecting me in any way. It will be nice however, to just go down and get my oxygen or order pitocin online, vs. other ways. I don't see using these things often, but I will have them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I hope to be the next generation of old school, but I also think that the woman makes the midwife, not the certificate. That is just for me. Here in this state, there are so many homebirthing mothers, every type of midwife is busy!</p>

·
Registered
205 Posts
<p>I am on a very looooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg journey to becoming a midwife, which has included going to nursing school(then dropping out after realizing I would not make a good CNM in my political climate here), being a doula, having 6 children(3 hospital,3 homeborn), independent reading and education, following a CNM and a CPM to births and being the only one available to catch in a few surprise unassisted births(I was there as a doula).  I am not sure where or when my education will continue or if there will ever be a midwife (CNM, CPM, or Tradtional) that I can apprentice with.  We have trouble getting homebirth midwives of any kind in our state.  There is one CNM across the state who attends hb's and there is one CPM who attends them across the border in another state at birthing cabin.  So while I definitely wish there were some options here close to home, I would probably have to leave my area to apprentice-not an option right now.  I really want to do the Farm Workshop's also.  So I do think there are many avenues into midwifery as there are many reasons why women get into it.  I also think that is great because women want a smorgasboard of options available to them in birth.  Great thread though because I think that in many areas the 'kinds' of midwives fight amongst themselves a lot, which does nothing for the cause of furthering midwifery, home birth, or supporting women's choices about child bearing.  I also know that many midwives, Ina May included were completely self taught at least when they attended their first births, and have had great outcomes, learning from the families they serve and whatever resources are available to them. Just my two cents worth</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts