Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scheduled a lot of downtime this summer for my gifted 9 year old daughter. Most if not all of her friends are highly scheduled so not available to play. I am pretty busy and necessarily absorbed in my about to crawl 9 month old - so I am looking for some ideas for projects that might excite her to do when we are at home in the summer - she is not overly crafty and not one to just pick up a book for fun.<br>
Thanks so much for your ideas,<br>
Pooppants

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Does she know how to type very well? Summer is a good time to work with typing software.<br><br>
Is she interested in cooking?<br><br>
Would she be interested in putting together a blog or a webpage? Many Internet providers give you some space to put up your own page and they have pretty easy to use software so it is something accessible to a kid in elementary school. Would she like to put up a page about something she's interested in, her pets, books she likes to read, etc.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My mother used to do us an activity box. In it were slips of paper with activities written on them, some would take an hour, some a day, others longer, and we would draw a new one each time one was done with.<br><br>
Activities included things like:-<br><br>
Identify and photograph (dad lent us the camera but it'd be easier nowadays with digitals) 10 different kinds of caterpillar and the butterflies they become. Present your findings with drawings in a workbook (mum had blank workbooks for such projects).<br><br>
Collect and press 5 blue flowers.<br><br>
Select a recipe from the blue book (mum's own recipe's) and prepare a meal or tin of treats for the family.<br><br>
Interview 2 family members and write a newspaper article on them - think about the theme of your article before you write your questions.<br><br>
Create an 8-clue treasure hunt based in and around the house.<br><br>
Learn to identify 20 different species of tree by leaves, bark and branch growth patterns. Present leaves and sketches in a workbook.<br><br>
This was all in the 80's, nowadays the internet (if your DD is allowed to use it) would make the sky the limit in terms of what she'd be capable of doing. I had to bin a ton of workbooks every time we moved house...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
What about teaching her a new skill, like knitting, cross-stitching, or sewing?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
What does she like to do? You mentioned a few things she wouldn't do, but what are her interest? I would start there, ask her what she might like to do, and then just get her the materials/books, etc. to begin...<br><br>
Guitar is a fun thing to learn on ones own, does she like to write? Learn wilderness survival skills?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts