Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dd is turning 4 in July. I was thinking she might really enjoy an indoor playhouse. Do other little children enjoy their playhouses? What kind of playhouse does your family have or enjoy the most? thanks!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
DD loves playhouses, and they are the first things she goes for in other people's houses.

I think those victorian-style strong plastic or wood playhouses are just gorgeous. But knowing my DD, she'll love it for a week, then not really play with it unless a friend comes over.

What's working for us to have a variety (well, we have 3) of those pop-up type structures. We have a fire engine, castle, and the thing with the tunnels. Switching them out keeps them interesting. Having them easily moved inside and outside and from room to room keeps them interesting.

Doesn't exactly meet my aesthetic needs, but works for DD.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A mama on this board (but I don't remember her name!) saved cereal boxes for a long time and built a really cool fort out of them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We have the big outdoor type playhouse in our family room. DD (4)and all her friends love it.

When we go to other houses and the playhouse is in the yard they never seem to get used because they are full of cobwebs, or bees etc. They love that this one is always inviting.

I have to admit after two years, I'm getting tired of it....but they aren't.

Starting out at age 4, I'd go with one that will collapse and store away.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We have a kid size tent. It is part of a set that also included a kid size sleeping bag, a flashlight, and a whistle (that mysteriously disappeared). I think my friend got it at WalMart or Target for like $20. The tent is a perfect size-less then 6 feet long and maybe 3 1/2 feet wide. DS likes to have me read to him in it, and he likes to take naps in it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I got a pattern and made a tepee for my kids. They like it because it has windows with their names over them and a painting of their totems. But I have boys, so maybe they like different things.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
We have a pop up tent which is used occasionally.

We also have a cranium fort (http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-303050.../dp/B000HVXFDQ) which they got for Christmas. DD (4 1/2) can make her own structures while DS (2) need us to build for him. It's not as strong as I thought it would be, the tubes are fairly flexible and the structures tend to come apart easily. It doesn't seem to bother them but I think I would have been quite frustrated at that age.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
We have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Rose...6302331&sr=8-2

Its small enough for her room but big enough for her to play in. Because it opens up in the middle she can make it larger if she wants to play with others. The sides nestle inside each other making it really small if she needs more floor space in her room. It was easy to put together (one of those 2 AM Christmas morning deals). And I like the fact that its soft-sided since sometimes things get wild and kids go crash around here.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
We have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Rose...6302331&sr=8-2

Its small enough for her room but big enough for her to play in. Because it opens up in the middle she can make it larger if she wants to play with others. The sides nestle inside each other making it really small if she needs more floor space in her room. It was easy to put together (one of those 2 AM Christmas morning deals). And I like the fact that its soft-sided since sometimes things get wild and kids go crash around here.

We have the same rose petal cottage and all my kids love it -- from the 2 yo to the 8 yo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts