Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a My Lock, it's a good machine, and I want to start sewing my own diapers with it.

My friend/profesionnal seamstress thinks that I would be better off trading my serger in for an Industrial Serger that would cost $2500 cdn
!!!

which I can totally not afford. Nor do I have the space for it. She thinks I'm going to ruin my serger because of the thickness of the fabrics that I want to serge together (2 layers hemp fleece, 1 layer microfleece).

What kind of serger do you use? How many layers of fabric can you serge at once? Is 3 layers of any fabric too much for a regular serger? I just want to sew diapers for fun, and now I feel like I'm going to ruin my machine

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
I have a Necchi Industrial serger and it sews through 4 thick layers of hemp fleece or burley knit terry like it's nothing, yet does very well on thin knits too.

It's noisy as all the parts are metal but it wasn't that expensive $350 USD.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moon Bucket: Will I be okay serging diapers with my regular serger? Or do I need an industrial?

I have been using my "My Lock" for clothing and blankets, but haven't serged diapers yet.

Anybody else serge diapers with a regular (ie: not industrial) serger?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Your serger will probably not hold up to the thickness and it will break parts if it is alot of plastic.

I side with the friend, if your serious, go industrial. You don't have to invest $2500.00 into an industrial. I have an ancient Union Special Industrial Serger, definately furniture, but it is all steel, cuts through all types of fabric, came from a drapery shop and cost me a few hundred not thousands. And for its age it moves at over 4000 stitches per min. Todays new industrials move at about 6000.

Get what fits your needs. But it you want to sew diapers your old one may not last long IMO. Good Luck.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have been sewing diapers on my Pfaff Hobbylock for six months with NO PROBLEMS. I sew a diaper a day and the only problem I had was a broken needle plate, which was my fault! I usually sew only 3 layers of hemp fleece, because more would take too long to dry. I don't think you should have any problem with sewing your own diapers. IMO I think only high volume diaper makers should invest those types of machines. HTH

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Most of the diaper wahms, as far as I can tell after 9 months of questioning and heavy lurking, do not have industrial sergers or even super expensive sergers.

What model MyLock do you have? Does it have a hard time with the two layers of hemp and one layer of micro? Keeping it clean and oiled is important to prolong the life of your serger.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I have a husqvarna huskylock that was about $1600. $2500 is a bit much to me, since some of that is just the same quality but a different or more expensive name. As far as industrial machines, I dunno, I don't think mine is...but it has all steel parts and is very heavy, and heavy duty. It is extremely fast and can sew through more layers than you'd ever need.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Husqvarna Huskylock 905. After converting about 20 prefolds to prefitteds and serging up the soakers only to a dozen VB AIOs my blades were shot. It cost about $60 for new Serger blades. I'm making another batch of prefitteds for a friend but I admit I'm a little nervous to do it again. Otherwise I like my machine, but I'd get something more sturdy next time. I'll wish for a blade upgrade option in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I guess people use both. I will start with my "Janome My Lock" with the fabrics that work with no problem (sherpa, 2 layers Hemp) but I am not rulling out an industrial either (used not new), especially since alot of you have bought some for very good prices.
Got to go DD is crying and wants her bath.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPixie
Moon Bucket: Will I be okay serging diapers with my regular serger? Or do I need an industrial?

I have been using my "My Lock" for clothing and blankets, but haven't serged diapers yet.

Anybody else serge diapers with a regular (ie: not industrial) serger?
LOTS of people use just a regular serger. I just wanted one I wouldn't have to fight with & that would serge through a lot of layers. Some sergers will barf over a lot of diaper layers but others do just great. Some of my contractors have a Babylock and they love it.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Just thought I'd throw what little I know into this conversation!

I have a Babylock that was refurbished from the early 80's. I've noticed that when I use two layers it does fabulous, when I up it to 3 or 4 layers the needle will unthread or it will skip, sometimes if I get the presser foot just perfect it will work fine but otherwise it's pretty touchy after the initial two layers. Of course I still use it to make diapers, soakers, covers and wipes but we have many long discussions about the proper way to serge! At $65 I don't mind these conversations but I may think of upgrading in the next year depending where I am in terms of volume.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I'm a professional seamstress and I an >< this close to chucking my industrial serger out the window. if I could lift it. A domestic can do so much more like a rolled hem, adjustable width of serged edge, etc. Depending on the make, a domestic will do diapers just as well as an industrial.

You can also get resale industrial sergers for about $500. Here in Toronto, the resale shoppes are in the fabric district. Look in your local yellow pages, they should have some in your area. If not, the classified section of your local newspaper might have some listed from businesses closing down or moving.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dianna11
I'm a professional seamstress and I an >< this close to chucking my industrial serger out the window. if I could lift it.
:LOL Yup, those industrials are definitely furniture! My mom (seamstress and smocking pro) has an industrial sewing machine and it took 3 men to bring it in the house. :LOL It's a definite workhorse and sews through any thickness like if it were butter.

It's true, I also love the versatility of my serger and I use the rolled hem much more often than the standard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.