Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just had her baby a month early and went through a great deal of trouble to get her breastfeeding relationship established while babe was still in the hospital. He's doing well now, but in a few weeks she is going to have to go back to work. She bought a Medela single pump which didn't work very well for her. She borrowed a hospital grade from the Health Department which worked great but she can only keep it a short time. Are there any sources of good quality breastpumps for not too much money for a mom in her situation? I know some breastpumps like the Pump in Style are not meant to be used by more than one person, but are there any that CAN be bought used? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
She may want to look into the Ameda Purely Yours. It's not approved by the FDA for multiple users, but the design of the pump makes it impossible for milk to back up into the tubing/pump.<br><br>
Buying a good pump may seem pricey at first, but will pay for itself after the cost of formula!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I like the Advent Isis better than the hospital garde, and used it exclusively for the three weeks that dd was in the hospital.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I purchased a used PIS and have no qualms about it at all. A new tubing kit can be purchased, but we just sterilized the existing kit. The mechanical diapragm on the PIS is sealed from the unit so if milk even got that far it wouldn't get anywhere you couldn't reach with cleaning.<br><br>
I just bought a PIS online last night for my brother and SIL. She is currently exclusively pumping for her 32.5 week preemie with a hospital rental, but hopefully will be able to nurse him soon (he's 2 weeks old today and coming home tomorrow!). The PIS should work fine when she's able to start a few nursing sessions. I found it online for $204.50 in a couple of places with free shipping by doing a Yahoo search.<br><br>
I'm not sure what issues there are with Medela pumps not working for some, is it just that it's a lower quality one (like PIS isn't as skookum as the Lactina, their hospital grade variety) or could there be another issue that can be solved so she can use the pump she has already? Anyone?<br><br>
HTH

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I had a PIS too, used as well. We just replaced the tubing, but I also bought it from a momma I knew so I felt ok using it.<br>
As far as inexpensive, I really like the avent isis. You can get one at Target for around 45.00.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
For occasional pumping a manual like the Avent Isis is good.<br>
But if she's been having probs, a double pumping electric one like the PIS or the Ameda Purely Yours is best. I got my Ameda for $170 new - you can buy it without the fancy carry bags and accessories. I also thinking buying a used one on ebay is ok. Lots of people do. Just sterilize it well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions. She is able to keep the loaner for longer than she expected, but I think she will have to invest in a double pump sooner or later. It's good to know that it is possible to reuse a pump if you sterilize the parts, I'll let her know. Thanks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts