Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 yr old daughter wants dreadlocks and has been researching the idea. She has long blonde hair. As she is researching this, I am amazed by the cost (I kinda thought dreads should be inexpensive!!) So, how can she do it without purchasing expensive waxes and hair products? How can she keep them clean without using all the special soaps so many dreadlock sites recommend?
Has anyone done them the first time on their own or do you recommend finding someone experienced? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have dreads I did on my own, I would not recommend doing them this way. They take a LOT of work, you really do not need expensive products at all but the upkeep is time consuming. If I could do it again I would find the cheapest place I could to start them for me with "sister locks", using a crochet hook, that is the best method I have seen. She also needs to be prepared to spend 20-30 min a day twisting and palm-rolling for the first two months or so to keep them from matting together before they lock up. Then they need to be tightened regularly (every few weeks) and the hairs that grown in between the dreads will have to be worked into a nearby dread as they get long enough. That part is really best left to a pro b/c it's really hard to see where you are sticking the hairs.
From what I've seen most people who dread their own hair end up shaving it off because it becomes such a mess and is so much work, the thought has crossed my mind as well, lol. I totally recommend finding a pro; spend the money on getting them started and getting loose hairs worked in every four months but don't waste money on products because they really aren't needed.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Check out Sara's dreads! She used to post here (as Delight) but I haven't seen her posting recently.

That post is her Three year Dreadiversary, but make sure to click through to her earlier posts about her dreads (they're linked at the bottom of the post). I'm totally inspired by her!

I think she only uses Dr Bronners to wash, a couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've heard of people using all kinds of things to kill the lice in their dreads, they say they work but she would forever have dead lice in her hair as she wouldn't be able to comb them out.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Don't bother buying any of the "special" products. They're not needed. I just stopped brushing and using conditioner. Yeah they need to be separated and palm rolled every few days for a while while they're dreading up. I'm totally happy with my neglect method dreads. Of course if you want to section and back comb that's totally do able it just takes time and a wire comb. Dreads need not cost anything.

There are some natural recs in the forum if you search for dreads and lice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all..

Well, I had mine started April 2009 and.... I'm winging it... I'm African American, and this journey has been up and down for me.. I'm determined to give it a try.. I'm a tiny bit beyond the Buckwheat look but, I look a mess. It is expenseive. I hate to do my own hair. Since having them started, I can't afford to pay anywhere from $35 every other wk or between $50 to $80 every month. Right now I'm free styiling it.. Sooner or later I'll have someone to help me out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I had dreads, but I had to cut them off because I was losing and growing in so much hair from endocrine issues that some dreads were threatening to fall off and I couldn't keep up with all the loose hairs as they grew in.

Anyway, I did them myself by back-combing with a wire dog grooming brush and I liked the palm-rolling because it guaranteed me some time to take care of myself. I miss that as now I have none.

I used Dr. Bronner's peppermint too and nothing else ever. I have very fine hair and my dreads tightened up quickly. They really are a journey though and once my endocrine issues are completely dealt with, I'll do it again. And once this baby is born, I'll re-pierce my nose too (pg rejected it!). I don't look like me right now. It's weird.

Anyway, they can be very enjoyable if you like what it takes to keep them going initially, or very burdensome if you don't. They are really the only sort of grooming I do, so for me, they were great and not burdensome.

I think I might find someone to start mine the next time; my arms were very sore while I backcombed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.