Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! i am a mama of a 22mo, and a nanny to a 23mo. we live in seattle, and the rain is begining! i need ideas for fun inside things to do with these girls. i am hoping for projects that will hold their attention for about an hour at a time. can anyone help me? tia!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think it's very hard for a child that age to only do one activity for that long. If my 26 mo. old does something for more than 15-20 min it's pretty remarkable. Every kid is totally different but DS can paint for quite a while. I strip him down to his diaper and put one of my old t-shirts on him, tape paper to the kitchen table, pour him craft paint and give him a paintbrush. When he gets really involved in an activity like this I don't talk to him so he can develop his concentration.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
An HOUR???? The only way my toddler (or any I've ever known) will do one activity for that long if it's sitting watching tv--not the ideal activity. But for non-passive activity, paints work better for us than crayons, and ds really likes using the toddler scissors (but yours might be too young for that), ripping up paper, gluing pictures or pieces of paper, playing musical instruments like a homemade drum or shakers, Play Doh, pretend cooking w/ pots and utensils, playing in the sink w/ a dishpan and containers (but I wouldn't do that w/ 2 kids w/o a Learning Tower but maybe you could do it on the floor or b'tub?), making tents w/ blankets over the furniture...Also, my ds LOVES stomping around in the rain w/ his little boots and raincoat, but we don't get much rain so it's a big deal.

There's a lot of good books on the subject and your library probably has them. I found Things to Do w/ Toddlers and Twos to be a good one.

HTH!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I ran the toddler room at a daycare for a few years and I never saw a child that age do any activity for that long (except sleep). For fun indoor activities get a big plastic dishpan. You can fill it with sand, rice, lentils, cornstarch, pasta that won't fit up their noses, biodegradable packing peanuts, all sorts of thing. Just add bowls, cups and spoons for instant fun (preferably two of each since they're too young to really share). As long as the contents are dry you can sweep/vaccum up the mess when they're done playing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have to stay home? There are a couple different indoor play groups near where I live that just ask for a donation of $3. Play group is my savior in the rainy season. They are held at a community center and set up with all sorts of toys, small climbing structures, and tricycles. My son (31 months) can occupy himself there for two or three hours! He needs to RUN everyday! I go crazy with him in the house all day long and so does he.
I'm also going to take him to the library, science museum, and pool. (The last one would be near impossible for two toddlers I imagine!)
Have Fun!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I second the painting. I put a big sheet over the table and floors and put her in the booster seat with just a diaper on. We put the paint in old egg cartons cut in half and make a big production out of which color goes in which spot
. I give her a brush and let her go to town. She usually lasts for 10 minutes or so then digs her hands in. Not only is it fun and exploratory play, but washtime afterwards usually lasts longer than normal and we break out all the cups and water toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.