Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all need or want new glasses in 2010. Where can I buy three pairs inexpensively? Two are distance and one is either going to be reading glasses or bi-focals. I wear my glasses the most - every single day, every waking moment. The other two wear theirs only as needed - DD about two hours daily, but on and off multiple times - and DH wears his current 20-year-old distance glasses a few times a year, but probably needs reading glasses now or possibly bi-focals. We get our exams done at the Costco Optical office ($49 each). DH & I are due soon for annual exams. DD is in the Fall.

Care to share any tips on ordering glasses online? What do I measure for proper fit of the frames (for me)? Any advice on children's glasses when they are only used for reading the board in school (not worn outside at all, but on and off frequently)? I have a current prescription, but it only shows the sphere and cylinder for OD and OS. When I casually looked online, the site I was on (???) seemed to want a lot more information than that. Obviously, I have never ordered glasses online before. Any and all advice is welcome!

My current glasses have a magnetic sunglass clip, which I love, and is basically the only reason I have kept them so long. I had the changing lenses a LONG TIME AGO and they stopped changing appropriately fairly early on. I hear they are much better now. It would be nice to skip the clip when out and about since we live in a very sunny area and I always need it handy. Anyone have the changing lenses? What are they called nowadays?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I've ordered from zenni optical andbeen very pleased. They did ask for a lot of info, which you should be able to call wherever you had your last exam and get easily. They've got transitions lenses (the ones that go dark outside) but everyone I know who has gotten them has been unhappy becuase after a while, they start to stay dark. Zenni is so cheap, I'd probably get one for indoor use and then a second pair with tinted lenses for sunglasses

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have been wearing transition lenses for at least 6 years (3 different pairs) and have been very happy with them. I have not had any problems with them not changing back to clear although somestimes it does take a little while. I don't have any advice about where to buy cheaply. We have vision insurance so just go through our eye doctor.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I got a great $8 pair from www.zenni.com. All you need is your prescription. I really was impressed with how good they are for $8.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I too recommend zenni. I just got three pairs from them, but the kids broke the most expensive ones (25 but still) I ordered two days in -of course. At the dr's - Make sure they measure your peripheral distance to get the proper fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too agree with recommending Zenni... I had ordered 2 pairs and recieved them and then a few weeks later I received two of the same again with a note saying that the first order (that i had received) was stuck in customs....

just look carefully on the prescription and read read read online if your confused

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I've also been very happy with Zenni. I have awesome insurance and get my $500 pair every year for free, but wanted a pair of prescription sunglasses, which I got from Zenni. They are terrific.

They also have models with the clip on sunglass attachments. That's not what I got, but I've seen them on the site.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If you or your dh are state or public university employees, check to see if the prison system in your state trains inmates to be opticians. If so, you can get all kinds of glasses for practically nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have also bought glasses at Zenni and been pleased. The small disappointing factors were my own fault, and the result of not enough research/foresight. You can't try them on, which was hard for me. They are so inexpensive though (under $10 including lenses) that it was alright for me to make a mistake. Your eye exam dr has to give you a copy of your prescription - some of them don't want to give up the script bc they try to strong arm you into buying glasses from them. Make sure they order the distance between your pupils, and the Zenni ordering process walks you through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.