Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got AF.
I'm a little sad, but also a little excited to try cloth menstrual pads. I didn't have any disposable pads in the house, so I'm using preemie cpf's right now. I've looked around at some cloth pads, but they are so expensive! I don't have a lot of money to drop on them right now, so can anyone tell me where I can get some cheap? Also, how do preemie cpf's hold up for this? Is it possible to just use them? That would be great because they are way cheap!

·
Registered
94 Posts
For inexpensive I really like TLC Pads . I think her overnight/postpartum are only $5.50 or so. They have an insert, like a pocket dipe which is nice for overnight and heavier days as you can add another insert if necessary. They're nothing fancy but do the job quite well. The only thing that I would change about them if I could would be the protective layer. She uses a coated taffeta instead of PUL and for me, it's not as reliable for a couple of days when it's fairly heavy.

HTH

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
My mom and I made some pads for my sister and I with preemie prefolds and (windpro) microfleece, here's a bunch of them, and up close. The edges look funky because my mom's serger barfed (too many layers for it to handle) so we ended up doing a tight zig-zag stitch and hand trimming the edges with scissors (I'm slowly re-trimming them). It cost me about $40 for the 3 dozen because a friend gave me the microfleece, and is doing the snaps for me soon. Although I've found that using a diaper pin on the wings works well in the meantime.

Oh, as to use... I haven't leaked through the preemie prefolds and microfleece, in the 4 cycles I've used them. I *may* have leaked through just a folded up preemie prefold, but I can't remember right now.

Lanna

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I use sweet cheeks new moon pads for my regular period, but am trying to figure out what to do for post partum pads. Maybe the SCNM pads will cut it, but I'm not sure. So when you use prefolds, do you just fold them and lay them in your underwear? Do you do something other than that to keep them in place?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts