Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would classify myself as a "beginning intermediate" knitter. I've done alot of soakers and longies, and am thinking of making a simple sweater for a friend with a baby due in the fall. She's expecting #5 and probably wants something easy to care for (not wool) and I would like something nice in the finished product, but inexpensive, and easily gotten at a Michael's or Hobby Lobby or even WalMart.<br><br>
So,.... Caron's simply soft? Pound of love? others?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well depending on what the pattern calls for of course, but if cotton you can get some Cotton Ease or a bunch of Cream n Sugar or whatever it is called at Hobby Lobby- this week they are on sale for $1 each (but you'd need a number of them.) I've always splurged on baby gift yarn though at the LYS- you can get some pretty nice stuff for under $30 total for a baby sweater since it doesn't take much yarn.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ugh, I wouldn't use acrylic...but I'm a snob, I guess. How about a cheap kitchen cotton like Peaches & Creme at Wal Mart or Sugar & Cream at the craft store? It would cost you about 2.50-3.00 to make a baby sweater with it and it is nice and soft. Bernat Cotton Tots is also nice. It is at local craft stores. I would definitely suggest cotton over acrylic, as it's just as affordable and you will have a much nicer result. Just remember to keep your sts loose or your fingers will get tired.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
If you want to use acrylic, I do like Caron's Simply Soft for baby stuff. I've used it many times, it knits up nicely for an acrylic and it's easy to care for. Pretty colors as well.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
cotton tots, cotton ease, tlc cotton plus, bernat denim, wool ease - all can be found at any big box craft stores. If you want to venture to a yarn shop, rowan's cashcotton is heavenly, as is classic elite provence.

·
Registered
816 Posts
After using the new cotton ease, I'd definately recommend that much over the whatever-n-cream stuff. Its much softer and I think the colors are prettier if you're looking for a solid color (color choices are more limited though.) I can definately say that the cotton ease is going to be my new "go to" yarn of choice for anything cotton.

·
Registered
542 Posts
baby sweaters don't take all that much yarn, so why torture yourself by knitting something you don't feel good about?<br><br>
lion has a relatively inexpensive cashmere blend that might be nice.<br><br>
but you might be surprised by the good yarn buys on the web. there are lots of good sales, especially at this time of year!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to look for the cottonease, but will also check out some of the other options y'all suggested!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts