Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DS we had a graco infant car seat that came with the stroller we bought. I ended up selling it in a garage sale because I hated it so much. There was hardly any padding and he grew out of it before I was ready to move him to the britax marathon he has now. So, I have already been looking at car seats and was wondering what everyone else has? I saw that Britax carries an infant seat, but it seems a little too pricey to spend. Then again, if it's worth it I would be tempted. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
658 Posts
We have a graco infant seat that will be used for the first 6-8 months before investing in a new Britax for baby. I'd rather spend the money on a high quality seat that they'll be in for 5-6 years than one that lasts such a short time. I pondered the idea of skipping the infant seat all together and starting with a convertible seat, but after several recommendations against it and looking at our money situation, I opted for the infant seat. It's a better fit for a newborn and plus with the winter months, it is kinda nice to be able to to cover the baby in the seat to protect them from the elements.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm totally biased with regard to carseats, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I just don't like the infant carseat carriers at all. I think sometimes they are "over used" and the poor baby never gets to be held because it becomes to easy just to "not disturb" them. Plus, why buy something that will only be used for a few months when you could get something with a much longer lifespan? With both of my kids we went straight to the convertible carseat. We have used Britax with each of them, and will again with this baby. Our babies are pretty small at birth, so we did need one of those little padding things to hold their little heads in place for the first month or so. We always carried our babies in a sling, so the ability to take the carseat out of the car, like you can with the infant carrier ones, was never something we would have used anyway. I would actually take the whole sling off with the baby in it when I would put him in the carseat, so it was super easy to put right back on again if we were in and out of the car a lot--running errands or something.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
We will use the graco extended infant seat. I have big babies that end up slimming way down and growing a ton in length. We've used convertibles with our previous two and ended up needing to buy an infant one becausee they were just swallowed and uncomfortable in the bigger seat. We don't take the seat in and out unless baby is sick or sleeping.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I second the convertible car seat!!!! I have an infant seat with stroller that I love but it seems that people expect you to keep your baby in that plastic box all the time and I am not that mommy! I use a wrap and I prefer that over carrying a heavy infant seat around. It all depends on your preference. But if I was shopping for a new car seat, I would go convertible. I love the Eddie Bauer one we have for our DS and am even thinking that maybe this time, I will start our new little one out in that as well!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
We just went and looked at a bunch and I think we decided on the Britax Diplomat or Boulevard unless we have an especially wee baby. I too am not a fan of the infant car seats, and while I briefly thought about getting a cheaper bucket seat for the first few months, it seemed that a higher quality convertible would be better than a cheap bucket anyway. It's a tough decision, but these two seem to have more side impact which will help with a newborn.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
We use convertable seats here because it's so much easier and NICER to put the baby in a wrap or sling then to carry a bucket around, esp if you have another child to push in a stroller! If you want an infant seat look for one that has a high weight and height limit, because they outgrow them SO fast. I think the Graco safeseat goes to something like 25 lbs or more, allowing for maximum rearfacing time. Personally we use the Radian 65 with our kids because it goes from 5lbs to 33lb rear facing and 20-65lbs forward facing. The other nice thing is they are very narrow so you can fit three across in many cars. This LO will be using an Evenflow Triumph 5 hand me down from my daughters and the twins are getting new radians so they can sit in the back of the van with their brother (or maybe my DH will sit back there and my DS will stay in the middle seat. We'll see what works

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's true, but it seems to make more sense to me to get something that will last if you plan to not carry a bucket around. The only advantage I could see would be if you had a reflux baby and they needed to sleep in the bucket, but to each their own I guess.

·
Registered
477 Posts
DDC crashing here...

You might want to check out the True Fit seat as well; that's the one my husband and I are probably going to go with (it's also a convertible, much like those that Britax makes), and for more discussions on car seats, check out the Family Safety section here on MDC. There's some good advice in there about car seats too!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
Our babies are pretty small at birth, so we did need one of those little padding things to hold their little heads in place for the first month or so. We always carried our babies in a sling, so the ability to take the carseat out of the car, like you can with the infant carrier ones, was never something we would have used anyway. I would actually take the whole sling off with the baby in it when I would put him in the carseat, so it was super easy to put right back on again if we were in and out of the car a lot--running errands or something.

Just so everyone knows those head padding things (unless they come with the seat) are not safety tested and void the safety of the seat). I have a friend whose cousin was in an accident and the car rolled. Both parents were injured and not able to get to the baby right away and the head cushion pushed baby's head forward cutting off oxygen and the baby died.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
We use convertable seats here because it's so much easier and NICER to put the baby in a wrap or sling then to carry a bucket around, esp if you have another child to push in a stroller! If you want an infant seat look for one that has a high weight and height limit, because they outgrow them SO fast. I think the Graco safeseat goes to something like 25 lbs or more, allowing for maximum rearfacing time. Personally we use the Radian 65 with our kids because it goes from 5lbs to 33lb rear facing and 20-65lbs forward facing. The other nice thing is they are very narrow so you can fit three across in many cars. This LO will be using an Evenflow Triumph 5 hand me down from my daughters and the twins are getting new radians so they can sit in the back of the van with their brother (or maybe my DH will sit back there and my DS will stay in the middle seat. We'll see what works
I too love my Radian. Best seat on the market if you ask me. Equally rated with the Britax's but narrower. Britax's are beasts and totally unusable in my family of 6 people. The Radians are also airline rated(most car seats are not) and easy to travel with since they fold.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have always used a bucket seat but I don't think I will this time(#4) because my children always scream in them. Once I move them to a convertible(which usually happens around 6 months since I have very tall children) the screaming stops. My other issue with the bucket seats is that people are more likely to touch your baby if you have it in a stroller or shopping cart in a bucket seat compared to wearing your baby. Plus really for me at this point I have no choice but to wear my baby when shopping since I have a 6 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old and need all my shopping seats I can get. That is one reason I love Target and Costco they have seats that seat more than one child.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have a Graco Snugride with memory foam. It's really soft and comfy. I had it with my last baby. I'll use it this time since I already have it. I never carry the car seat around, baby comes out and right into the sling. The one advantage is that living in the NE you can put the baby in the car seat in the house where it's nice and warm and carry them to the car... I do hate it when babies live in the buckets... I have an Evenflo Triumph convertible that the baby will probably move to once she/he out grows the Graco. Although, I'd really like to get a Britax or Radian. We'll have to see what the financial situation is at that point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I suggest checking the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration safety testing on car seats here: CLICK HERE for NHTSA

I did yesterday and found this one had one of the best ratings: First Years True Fit C630 Convertible http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Tr...d=8U4PQAYK8Q9K

I know a lot of you mentioned the BRITAX brand, but they didn't do so well in the safety testings: http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/nhtsa_eo...pe=convertible

I am getting a convertible as far as I have researched. I too hate people carrying around the baby in those infant car seats. They are very bad for the baby's back to be sitting in for long periods of time. And plus they are so heavy and uncomfortable to grip.

I don't have space to be storing a infant seat and a bigger baby car seat, and I get one shot at the baby shower to get everything I need, so I am getting something that will last me.

completebeginnings, thanks for the tip on those additional paddings.

·
Registered
754 Posts
One more thing about the baby carrier seats. As a midwifery apprentice and woman who has struggled with uterine prolapse (cervix is 1 knuckle inside of me) carrying anything as heavy and awkward as a infant car seat is one of the worst things you can do as a woman for your woman parts. Even a woman who has no history of uterine prolapse(70% of women have issues by age 50 and surgery doesn't help) should never carry an infant car seat. It makes me cringe when I see moms with newborns lugging that seat around I just want to yell"Your uterus is going to fall out!". This is also true for women with c-sections. Nothing is worse for your healing incision(which most will agree isn't truly healed till 18 months post partum). So my point is if you must have an infant seat have dad carry it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^ even for dad's, they look like they could curve your spinal column into the leaning tower of pisa. plus they knock on the side of your legs and knees. absolutely the most uncomfortable sight to watch, parents carrying around an infant car seat.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would still get an infant seat even if you don't use it to carry around the baby. My last one was born 4 weeks early and a convertible would have been too large for him. Also, every hospital I've given birth in requires that you bring the carseat into the hospital and demonstrate to the nurse that you can buckle your baby in properly. I would be scared to do that with a convertible because it would be so hard to reinstall it properly in the car afterwards.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am using an infant carrier first. It gets cold here (really cold) and I like being able to bring the baby in the house still covered well in the car seat. To be able to carry the baby into the house or store from a convertable seat would require a warm bulky snowsuit and it isn't really feasable to take the baby out of the seat and put them into a snow suit for carrying every time when I have 3 other small children to tend to as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.