Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color:#008000;">My DD is now 20 months old and during her lifetime I have had ~6 "random" survey calls about infant feeding practices. However as soon as I mention DD is breastfeed they want to know "what other baby milk" she is receiving as soon as I tell them she is ONLY receiving breastmilk and has only ever received breastmilk they quickly tell me I do not qualify for the survey and hang up. It has always conserned me that I am sure all of my answers are thrown out at that point this is certainly falsifying research data to meet the studies preconceived results.</span>

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Sounds like a marketing survey, not a scientific study. I.e. It doesn't exactly qualify as "research data" or a "study".<br><br>
If it were a scientific study, you would have a verbal consent at the beginning. They would tell you it's a scientific study, the name of the PI, whom to contact at the university's Research Ethics Board if you have questions, etc.<br><br>
If it's a marketing survey, they'll just ask if you have a baby and if you have 10-15 minutes to answer some questions. Then, if you're using formula, they'd ask you whatever they want to know. (I.e. Why did you choose that brand? What do you think of the packaging? Have you seen the ad XYZ on television? Have you considered switching brands? And so on.)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yep. sounds like a marketing survey or a sales promotion. Definately not done by a legit unbiased research firm, or your health region.<br><br>
next time, ask who is sponsoring the study. They may tell you, or they may say there are a research company and they aren't disclosing the client.<br><br>
I'd be interested to know more information, if you got any. Maybe ask the name of the study next time? I've heard of these type of studies being mailed out, but never by phone.<br><br>
INFACT canada might like to know about this<br><a href="http://www.infactcanada.ca/infacthomepage.htm" target="_blank">http://www.infactcanada.ca/infacthomepage.htm</a><br><br>
Janice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts