Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old dd has been prescribed infant Gaviscon for what our GP thinks is GER (gastroesophogeal reflux, however you spell that). I'm really quite hesitant to give it to her for two reasons: 1) She's exclusively breastfed and I'm not keen to put anything else in her body, even the cooled boiled water necessary for the Gaviscon and 2) I've been told that Gaviscon contains aluminium. I guess there is a 3rd reason, too, in that her reflux, if that's what truly is causing the vomiting, isn't really hurting her or causing her to lose weight or sleep. It's more a laundry problem than anything else, but it is sometimes worrying (which is why I took her to the doc's in the first place.)<br><br>
Does anyone know much about giving a baby Gaviscon? Are there any other more natural remedies for reflux?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Infant Gaviscon contains sodium alginate and magnesium alginate, which are derived from seaweed. When the alginates come into contact with the stomach contents, they form a gel that helps to physically prevent stuff from refluxing back into the esophagus. Neither sodium alginate nor magnesium alginate are absorbed by the body, so they do not get into the bloodstream. I have not heard of Infant Gaviscon containing aluminum.<br><br>
The efficacy of Infant Gaviscon has been questioned in some studies.<br>
From the Archives of Diseases in Childhood (2005): <a href="http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/460" target="_blank">Effect of Gaviscon Infant on gastro-oesophageal reflux in infants assessed by combined intraluminal impedance/pH</a><br><br><span style="color:#0000FF;">...Conclusions: Results showed a marginal but significant difference between Gaviscon Infant and placebo in average reflux height, and raises questions regarding any perceived clinical benefit of its use....</span><br><br>
In terms of medications for reflux in an infant, it is probably one of the least worrisome as it is not absorbed but it may not be the most effective.<br><br>
HTH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts