Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
A "convertible" carseat that holds a child 5-40 or 5-45 lbs.

Ours is the Evenflo Triumph, and I picked it because of its ratings and because it just looked comfy - like a papasan chair.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
a convertible here also
!! We used it rearfacing from birth-30 pounds, and then front facing from 30 pounds ....til now...we'll keep her in it until she outgrows it (40 pounds or height-wise), and then move her into a booster.!!!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
If they say birth- X number of pounds, or 5-X number of pounds, etc, then they are certified for that weight....although a newborn might look tiny in a convertible, the lowest straps and locking clip should keep the baby perfectly safe. (I would never use one without a 5 point harness though!)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You think they don't look like they would fit? Well not sure which seats you are looking at, but it seems to me the ones I have seen, the straps are just about the same size? My 7 lb baby fit just fine in his marathon. If anything the SEAT looked big, but he fit in it just right.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We have two Triumphs.
I love them because you can lay them down when the baby's a newborn, and it will hold them essentially like an infant car seat (I am far too paranoid about the whole "seat detaching from base" thing to use buckets), and will adjust to a more upright position when they're ready for it. It is very highly rated, pretty easy to adjust, rear-facing to at least 30 pounds--don't recall the exact number offhand--and economical. We paid $120 for the one we bought here in Hawaii; I think the MSRP is under $100. It's a good option for those of us who cannot afford to drop two or three hundred bucks on a carseat.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma
Thanks for the recs. Some just don't look like the straps would fit for a newborn.
A lot of them don't fit. Britax specifically says a nb CANNOT use their seat at birth if their shoulders are more than an inch below the bottom slots. Those bottom slots are 10", both my kids were about 7.5" torsos at birth. You genearlly want them at or below their shoulders when rfing, but you can make exceptions for small nbs, but it's still not safe to have them too far above. If you wanted to start w/ a convertible, the Cosco Scenera has very low slots, like 7" I think and then you could move to a Britax later if you wanted or just use the Scenera till they go ffing ( 35# in that one) and then get a Britax Regent to keep them harnessed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma
Thanks for the recs. Some just don't look like the straps would fit for a newborn.
On our Evenflo Triumph - the lowest setting for the shoulder straps is pretty close to the bottom of the seat, so they're definitely newborn-friendly.

You'll be able to see it for yourself though if you go to a store and look at one out of the box.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
We had the britax companion- which is a bucket. BUT if I wasn't going to use that, I'd use a boulevard- great britax seat with side impact protection AND it comes with an infant insert.

-Angela

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.