Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearly 7 month old DS has been losing weight. He was diagnosed with reflux and put on Zantac and we're making a gradual switch to Prevacid. But he's only gained back a few ounces in the past month and they're starting to bring up adding in some formula. Does anyone have any guidance for me? How do I make this boy gain weight? He's eating like a champ, not throwing up or having diarrhea. Where is it all going???

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Have you eliminated all major allergens from both of your diets? Infant reflux is often (IMO most of the time) caused by food allergies and intolerances. Sometimes it's structural, but that is rare and likely would have presented from birth. Even if you get rid of the reflux with the meds, you aren't doing anything to resolve the root cause of it--and if he is food allergic, his gut is probably a mess which is likely contributing to the weight gain issues.<br><br>
Is he EBF or does he do some solids? If he's on solids, you can make sure that he's eating very nutrient dense foods, like egg yolks, avacados, and liver. Good fats and protein, nothing with potential allergens.<br><br>
On top of that, you should eliminate all gluten (wheat, rye, barley, kamut, spelt, oats) and dairy (of all kinds, including butter, nonfat dry milk powder, etc) from your diet. It can take up to a month for certain protiens to clear your system, so be patient. And it is hard and can be miserable at times, but it is so, so, so, so worth it.<br><br>
I would not give him formula. If he is food allergic, it's one of the worst things you can do. If you have to, there is a recipie for homemade meat based formula in Nourishing Traditions that would be my first choice for formula if I had to go there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've eliminated dairy from my diet. My daughter has a gluten/dairy intolerance, so perhaps taking gluten out of my diet has well would be a good idea. He was EBF when this presented, the doctor suggested after a couple of weeks that I introduce some food just to try to make his diet heavier.<br><br>
Just today I thought, you know what...I have eggs and organic liver, maybe I should try that. That seems to be a confirmation of that thought.<br><br>
Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate the experience.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
He might just be a slow gainer too. My dd had reflux pretty badly. She was EBF until about 10 months (we tried solids around 7 months on up but she wouldn't take anything until around 10/11 months, and even then not much)<br><br>
I think maybe he'll catch up. He is gaining, although slowly, which is a good sign. DD wasn't gaining most of the time, and even lost some around his age, even though she had stopped spitting up. She had some gut issues as well that we are dealing with now, I wish I had dealt with them myself earlier. I'd try the healing the gut tribe for yourself, perhaps that will help your ds too in the long run.<br><br>
How much does he weigh now at 7 months? At that age dd was hovering around 13 lbs... she was up to 18 lbs by a year. She had a little spurt somewhere in that 11 month range that caused her to want to eat more, hence she wanted more than just BM. Now at just about 2, she is a whopping 25 lbs!<br><br>
I'd keep an eye on him but I'd say as long as he isn't losing, he might just be kind of a slow grower. If there is something else going on, it might be malabsorbtion issues, which you would have to deal with in your diet if he is EBF. Hope everything goes well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts