Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there used to be a sticky on this...couldn't find anything though (especially without the search feature).

When changing my sons diaper right before bed, his foreskin was red and there was a fair amount of greenish discharge. He's also got a fever, it was 103.4 (temporal). I did give him some motrin though, to help with the fever and the pain (I think it hurts him a bit).

I assume this is a bacterial infection of some sort, so I called urgent care to get insurance & cost info so that we can take him first thing in the AM. I figured it would just be the office visit and a prescription for antibiotics (costwise is what I was thinking, new job, no insurance yet), but she said they may run tests.

Am I wrong in thinking this is probably just an infection that needs to be cleared up with antibiotics? I want to be prepared for whatever "tests" they spring on me.

Oh, and you better believe the first thing out of my mouth before the doc even touches his diaper is he is not to retract. And if he suggests circumcision, I'll be sure to tell him how sadly disappointed I am in his "medical expertise"

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Make sure you get a culture to find out what type of bacteria it is (so the antibiotic will be specific.)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yes, she should do a culture- and just swab the end of the foreskin, as you said there is NO need to retract him at all! I am so paranoid now, after the bajillions of stories that we've had here of doctors saying they won't retract and then doing it so fast you can't stop them.
I would make sure the doc had a crystal clear understanding before that diaper even came off.

mama, I am sure he'll be better soon!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.....we didn't get him to see a doc this morning. His fever is gone, we haven't seen any discharge since that first diaper change, and the redness and swelling are going away too.

Is that normal for it to clear up on its own?

With my dd, if she gets rashy, I usually just let her soak in the tub with a bit of baking soda....should I give it a try with this too?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
It's very normal for it to clear up on its own - just shows that your ds' immune system is doing its job!

A baking soda bath couldn't hurt, and might help....a little squirt of breastmilk is also always a good idea. Lots of antibacterial properties!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky
It's very normal for it to clear up on its own - just shows that your ds' immune system is doing its job!

A baking soda bath couldn't hurt, and might help....a little squirt of breastmilk is also always a good idea. Lots of antibacterial properties!
Just wanted to make sure he wan't tricking me
I'd hate to assume its clearing up and he wakes up in pain in the morning....I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. But you're right....his immune system probably did its job just fine. He went all that first day running a fever which probably helped.

I wish I could use the breastmilk idea...but I'd have to work REALLY hard at it
He just weaned basically 3 weeks ago....decided not to nurse for a few days (was already on the verge of drying up, just found out I'm pg so it didn't take much).

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts