Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old son's foreskin has been red and swollen for a few days, it seems to get better then worse again. He takes baths almost everyday, we change diapers frequently and put on diaper cream....please help if you have any suggestions...not sure if I should call the doc, or wait it out. It seems to bother him when I touch it, but not too bad and there is no puss. Thanks,
sarah

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
That sounds like an allergy possibly. Has he tried anything new? Or is there anything he's had a lot of, because he might have developed an allergy.

or have you switched detergent recently?

·
Registered
459 Posts
My boys have had issues like that...
I think its generally better to try to do things like air it out as much as possible, not getting rubbed or wet. I would either not bathe or definitely not use soap for a while (until it goes away), and not use diaper cream, those usually smother the area and often makes rashes or other skin issues more irritated (unless its something like "Calendula" or other natural product... can't think of another at the moment, but maybe some other mothers will).
When we do the things mentioned above, they have usually gone back to normal in several days.
I would tend to wait on the doc myself, unless it's oozing anything, or looks really worse or seems to really be bothering him (really painful or itchy).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent switched detergent, and we are now using disposables...he may have eaten something new.....it is hard to keep track because he is such a little eater.
I will try to let it air out more, thanks...anyone else experience this?
Sarah

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My friend experienced something like this and her son's got better once they quit using sposies, quit wiping when there was just pee, and quit using soap on him. She doesn't use soap at all anymore in fact just lets her son play in water and if his hair is very dirty uses some baking soda on it. HTH

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
my ds always had a red spot somewhere on his penis until we stopped using disposable diapers. I have heard many others with the same complaint.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My ds had something like this a couple of times. I usually would associate it with sitting too long in a wet diaper. It always went away on its own by keeping it as dry as possible.

We also had an issue at right around 15 mos where ds actually pinched himself in the bathtub and it bled a couple of drops. I was so scared, and my pro-circ ped was unsympathetic. Anyway, it cleared up on its own within a few days. I think I used Eucerin to protect it from wetness that time.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
My DS had something very similar and the pro-circ pediatrician was NO help. I figured out on my own that it was a yeast infection because of a sensitivity to strawberries. I just bought some over the counter yeast cream and it was gone in less than two days.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
DS's foreskin was irritated (red and swollen) when I had some detergent build-up on my diapers. The best thing was airing it out down there, letting him soak in the tub, and changing him as soon as he had a wet diaper (I also had to strip my dipes). Within a day or two it was back to normal.

HTH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.