Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- DD got a small burn that blistered and popped on her right middle finger (our oven is poorly insulated and she slid her finger in the crack between the oven and the bottom drawer and burned it on what feels like a small screw that holds in the oven door). It is about the size of a pencil eraser and on the right middle finger just below the nail. After it popped on its own, I have been washing her hands regularly and cleaning it with a swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. The opened blister has scabbed over and appeared to be healing but had some redness. Today it has begun to swell under the scab and it is now very red. The area around the scab appears to be very sensitive and looks "full" like if it was poked it would pop. I cleaned the area with bactine and applied neosporine and a band-aid to keep her hands off of it (and it out of everything she touches). I am worried about how quickly it went from "a little red" to swollen and sensitive. She is not running a fever but has been cranky- she's teething though, so it's hard to tell what's what. Any advice? When do I head to the docs.?? I don't want to be a paranoid mommy and whisk her off to urgent care but I am worried about the infection spreading or causing other damage/problems. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Are you breastfeeding still? I would put milk on it, or even express some and have her soak in it for a bit, maybe a few x daily. Other than that, I would just keep an eye on it, and definitely call the doc if you see red lines running from it. I bet a breastmilk soak would help clear it up pretty quickly, though.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep- still BFing. I was going to try that but was afraid that the milk wouldn't be good for the burn. Now though, it has scabbed over and I wonder if the milk will get to the infection to help?? Guess I'll wait until she's asleep and the soak her finger- otherwise she will just splash. THanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts