Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is NONE!!!! NONE!!!!
I have this book called "Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth" by Dr. Miriam Stoppard. I tried looking circumcision up this morning, just to see if it was pro-, con-, or 'neutral'. So, I searched and searched, and NOTHING! ALL of the pics of boys are intact. So, I read the info. on "how to clean a boy", and it says "With baby lotion on a cotton ball, clean gently under his testicles. Wipe all over his testicles and under his penis. Don't pull the foreskin back. Clean his bottom by holding his ankles with one hand; use petroleum jelly, not zinc ointment, to protect his penis." and it shows a pic of how to do this. I was so amazed to read this as it treats the intact penis as the "normal" way. I love how it doesn't go into detail about the intact penis, it just treats it like normal, like everyone has one! I thought, this has to be from another country, but was published in US in 2000. (It also has "how to prepare for a homebirth, as well as hospital; breastfeeding, with mention of bottle-feeding, but treats breastfeeding as norm; how you should lay naked with baby for skin-to-skin contact, and take warm baths with baby; cloth diapering...) The pics are also GREAT!!! It shows the same naked woman every month, and how her body develops through pg. It also looks like a mainstream book, which I love, b/c maybe more people will read it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OMG, I have this book! When I was pregnant with DS1 (2000) it was one of the amazon recommendations for pregnancy/baby books. Totally mainstream. Back then I was not so obsessed with stopping circumcision (although it was clear it was not an option to be considered for my kids) so I never really paid attention to that.

(Races to the library to find book)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Exactly! Putting the whole RIC issue aside for a moment, treating the intact penis as abnormal, or secondary, to the circumcised penis is just plain wrong. We dont talk about "how to check for lumps in augmented breasts" and then say oh yeah, and if you arnt augmented, this is how you do it too. It just doesnt make sense...
I have a very cool anatomy book with pictures of actual anatomy (from cadavers). I just ran and checked and thankfully the male anatomy is correct!
Which I guess is good since my kids like looking at it and asking me what the different body parts are (odd little children-they are not disturbed in the least by this...and my 4 year olds favorite movie is Resident Evil 2! lmao). I will be sure to get more books like this so my kids know that intact=normal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As great as that may be she has some really bad advice regarding foreskin in her childcare books. If I remember correctly you have to be able to retract by age 6 or something or "snip, snip". Don't quote me, I don't actually own her book, I read it in a book shop and was extremely disappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts