Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure that my LO has a lactose intolerance. Can anyone offer what occurs. He gets very gassy, and will spit up a lot. Sometimes have green poops. How long will it take me to get the milk out of my system? And can sensitivity levels vary? Maybe one day I just took in a ton of milk, and products containing milk and it put his system on overload. Any advice, facts, details on lactose intolerance here would be great. TIA

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
It's most liikely not a lactose intolerance but a milk protein intolerance. DD had this - she was also intolerant of eggs and soy in my diet. A majority of babies that are intolerant of milk are also intolerant of soy so ifbeing totally off milk (and this means reading all labels - tough but it can be done - nothing with whey, casein or milk as an ingred.) doesn't help as much as you thought, try going off of soy. Soybean oil and soy lecithin is usually okay bc the proteins are processed out. The good thing is that they usually grow out of this! I was off of dairy/eggs/soy/tomatoes from 6 weeks to 7.5 months. She now tolerates me eating those things again! If you search through my past posts, I have made quite a few posts on fast food and fast dinners in that are milk/soy/egg free and pretty much what I lived on for 6 months. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
I'm pretty sure breastmilk contains lactose even if the mother does not consume any dairy at all.
You are very right - BM is very high in lactose naturally. A true lactose intolerant baby is very rare and they would have tested for that in the PKU test - it's called galactosemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactosemia

Usually what it is is that babies are born with "leaky gut" basically. It helps them absorb all the nutrients from the BM. However, some babies can't tolerate the cow's milk proteins that come through the milk when a mother eats dairy - it can cause lots of intestinal distress and sometimes bleeding (this has happened with my DD). The baby's holey gut (which usually closes up some between 4-6 months) lets the milk proteins through to the blood stream and the baby has an allergic reaction to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

That explains it a bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting I did not know that. I find it funny that I did not have a problem with him getting gassy and green until he was 6 weeks old. Does that sound like it could be lactose issues? Why wouldn't they show up right from the start, and also, I have to supplement with 4 oz. during the early evening when my milk production is low. Wouldn't he have an adverse reaction to the formula that is cow based?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggygal23 View Post
Very interesting I did not know that. I find it funny that I did not have a problem with him getting gassy and green until he was 6 weeks old. Does that sound like it could be lactose issues? Why wouldn't they show up right from the start, and also, I have to supplement with 4 oz. during the early evening when my milk production is low. Wouldn't he have an adverse reaction to the formula that is cow based?
I bet you anything that your milk production isn't that low in the early evening (unless you are pumping?) that just happens to be a time when babies cluster feed in prep for sleeping a longer period at night. It's actually really really common for babies to be fussier and want to nurse a whole ton in the early evening. Unfortunately, it makes people think that their production is lower then.

Riley didn't really start reacting to dairy in my diet until she was right at 5-6 weeks old. She was fine until then. I read something somewhere that explained it but I cannot for the life of me find out where that article is. Apparently, that is pretty normal for milk allergic babies though some have symptoms start even earlier. I think it was something about how the baby's body takes about 6 weeks to build up a strong enough reaction? Like how if you are allergic to bees, the first time you ever get stung, you dont normally have a reaction, but subsequent reactions get stronger and stronger.

If I were you, I would see if you can eliminate the formula totally as that is probably causing some problems as well. If you are really worried about your supply, oatmeal (not instant), brewer's yeast, even dark beer are good natural ways of giving your supply a little boost. I made oatmeal "lactation" cookies (google for the recipe) and they taste really great and totally boosted my supply.

I'd cut out all dairy from your diet for a week-2 weeks and see if that makes a difference (it can take up to 6 weeks to get out of his system but I found that a week-2 weeks is usually good enough to make a difference to see if that is what it is) If he still has the gas and green, try taking soy out along with the dairy for another week. It shouldn't take that long but to be on the safe side, just in case you have a kid that takes a little longer to get it out of his system. With Riley it took about 3 days off of dairy and I saw a HUGE difference (but she was also so insanely colicky - she cried for 6 hours straight every night, like fullbore screaming - after I took dairy out she never cried like that again).

If your son does have a milk protein intolerance/allergy then you'd have to get special formula that is more broken down and easy to digest. It's really expensive and I think you might have to have a script for it, it was easier for me to take dairy/soy/eggs out of my diet then to pay for formula honestly.

Hope that helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.