Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little baby is only 2 months old and I think she has an ingrown toenail.

The corner area is red and is starting to look swollen. The skin is over the corner of where the toenail should be.

DH says it will require surgery....

Is there anything I can try to do to avoid surgery? If not, should I take her in now to get it taken care of? I would imagine it hurts her.

If she does have to have it worked on will they be able to give her a local? I really wouldn't want to give her any pain relief like tylenol. Should I start giving her some homeo. for swelling/pain right now?

· Registered
43,104 Posts
First I would soak it and take a good look at it yourself.

Try to decide if it's painful for her. Both my kids at times LOOKED like they had ingrown toenails on their big toes as newborns- but they didn't.

Do you have a ped you trust?

good luck!

-Angela

· Registered
126 Posts
When my DS was 1yr old he had what looked like it was an in-grown toenail, so we took him to the Dr. She said that the inflamed toenail was common, part of the growing process and that the toe and the nail would sort themselves out without being a long-term problem.

She told us to make a paste with baking soda and put it on the toe (about 10 minutes before bath time), it would draw out the redness and clear it up. We did that and it cleared up in a day. We have not had any problems since.

good luck!

· Registered
2,569 Posts
My DD had an ingrown toe nail when she was maybe 10 months??? I soaked it, cut the little edge of the nail and just pulled it out of the skin. A bunch of puss came out with it and I soaked it again and slathered it in caledula cream. It healed quickly.

· Registered
833 Posts
My youngest had what looked like an ingrown toenail on her big toe, just at the corner, and the area was a little pink. I think the other foot might have been like that too, only far less noticeably. I showed it to the doctor at her 2-week checkup--since it didn't look serious and since it didn't seem to be bothering her in the slightest, we agreed to wait it out. After a while (a couple of weeks, maybe?), the skin around it formed a little blister as the nail grew out, and the whole thing cleared up all by itself. It didn't ever seem to bother her and we haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.