Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - having to wash 100+ diapers all at once is 1. Finally getting to me 2. Just too heavy to carry it down all at once 3. Too expensive (I coin-op with shared machines)

I usually wash three loads of diapers per week, usually all at once. Frankly I don't think letting my dipes sit wet for that long can be very good, even though thoroughly soak/rinse stinky dipes and rinse out heavily wet ones. I also think I'd be more motivated to wash less (and carry a lighter load) if I had less to wash to begin with...
For a wash and dry per load costs $3.00 - I've been spending about $9.00 washing dipes per 5/6 days. $12.00 if I need to strip detergent. I have my other laundry to think about too. When I get to line dry, that cuts it down to about $1.00 per load. However -winter is coming...

I've been thinking about tring to cut out a whole load from my stash. I've tried the towel trick in the dryer and it doesn't work fast enough to save the extra dollar....

The dilemna -if I cut out a load, won't I be spending more per week b/c I'll have to wash more often? It would be more work, but broken down into managable slots. I love diapering, but I can't wait till D potty trains at this point and I'm at the end of my rope mulling this over -

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Maybe you can buy a drying rack and use that when winter comes I plan on getting one. to save money on the electric bill. I hope someone else with better knowledge of your sitution will reply. I hope you find a soloution to your problem.

Christina

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
When I used a coin-op, I started doing all laundry more frequently. If I washed only once a week, it took me way too long-- the day would be wasted on laundry.

If we move to a place with no w/d hookup again, I would probably get a portable washing machine, dry dipes inside, and dry clothes in a coin-op. Option 2 would be . . .flats. Quick to dry, get super clean, and light to carry.

Quote:
The dilemna -if I cut out a load, won't I be spending more per week b/c I'll have to wash more often? It would be more work, but broken down into managable slots
If you wash 3 Xs per week (1 load each time) then it will cost the same but be MUCH easier to carry.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I agree squishy...I was on a mission of sorts last winter to prove I could go w/out using a dryer...don't ask why...I do strange things sometimes. Anyway, with drying racks, positioned over our heating vents, I was able to do it. Yes, we always had clothes everywhere, but they were dried by heat from heating our home and not by our dryer. You can also mount racks from your ceiling (I think Trish did this successfully). I suppose you could also double up more and use fleece stay dry liners so that maybe you could stretch out changes a little bit w/out compromising comfort, but then that'll be more pieces too. Maybe you could hand wash some diapers from time to time to cut down on the mat washings. You can hang diapers out in the winter on sunny days, but yeah, they'll be frozen and crunchy and you'll probably still want at least a little dryer time to soften them up and ensure they dried completely. Maybe you could also change up your stash some and use covers or pocket dipes and hand wash them and dry them overnight. You use pf's, already, don't you? Maybe get some flats or folders or other quick drying type diapers? That's about all I got.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the wonderful suggestions mommas!
I have tons of flats, but they're too small to pin around ds(s) although they were what I loved using for the newborn stage (which worked out - I had a winter-month newborn). Right now I have all fitteds for ds2 (just 7 are quick drying style, and oh yes how I love that feature for a diaper) and mostly chinese prefolds (40!
) and several fuz and sos fitteds for ds3, and oh we all know how long they take to dry in a dryer
:

I have found that when I get to wash dipes in the one front loader available (I usually throw all fitteds in there) that because it spins water out so well it decreases the drying time (this works wonders on other laundry like towels and jeans)...I"m thinking perhaps I can wash prefolds in that and get a drying rack for the fitteds. I like the suggestion of getting an indoor retractable line, but if it requires scrweing any hardware into the walls...my lease won't allow for it. Right now, drying rack it looks like it is. So can I get one big enough for exactly 2 dozen fitteds?

I did forget to mention that one of the factors that ties into washing dipes every 5-6 days is that Dh works nights 5 days out of the week. At night when the kids go to bed is the best time to do laundry, but if dh is gone to work, I"m not comfortable leaving the kids alone in the house (even though they are sleeping) to go downstairs, outside, across the lawn and parking lot and into another building where the machines are, and be gone for the length of time it takes to get everything and started (and then take out and put in dryer, then take out of dryer). I no doubt know you gals would understand, but I just thought I make that factor clear. I've done it before, and I just couldn't stomach it so I stopped, esp now that my new infant (new, well he's nine months lol) who can crawl and roll sleeps on our bed at night. Sometimes I do get to do laundry in the morning or during the day, if dh is up and/or not off running errands.

Well at any rate thanks again mommas, I'll keep this thread updated and see how it goes.

ps - we can't have portable machines in our apt's either
the things I've said about our lease, well isn't suitable for typing :LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts