Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, actually two names. I realize I am asking for your thoughts here, so it's okay to tell me what you really think! And let me say that we live in an area that is uber crunchy and where kids often don't have the same name as any other kid in town.

My husband and I both like Noelle for a girl, but we also like Persephone. And now my husband is suggesting Apollo for a boy. He teaches Greek history as a 7th grade teacher and he loves mythology.

What do you think of these names? Persephone for a girl? Apollo for a boy? Our last name is Johnson. Our other kids are Karan, Bodhi, Bjorn (boys) and Fiona (girl)

???input??? (and what nicknames could we have for Persephone? It's twice as long a name as all the rest of our's!)

· Registered
144 Posts
I *personally* wouldn't use them, but I can def see their appeal, and I think they blend in very well with the rest of your kids.

I know a Persephone who goes by Posey- I always thought that was an adorable nickname. And if you're looking for a nickname for Apollo- Ollie is great.

· Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I like Apollo especially since its on our maybe name list.
I think Persephone is cute and unique, I have never heard it before. As far as nicknames go for Persephone goes, I wonder if others would try to shorten it into Persey (not a feminine sounding name IMO). I do think that Posey is super cute!

· Registered
839 Posts
Persephone is great! I like Posey as a nickname, but *I'd* go with Honey, taking the last 4 letters and adding the "y".

Apollo, no so much, as when I hear it, I hear the word "appalling" (but then I hear that for the name Paul) or think of the Apollo 13 mission. When I read it, what Spanish I remember from HS, I see "pollo" or "chicken". I know that's a bit yucky, sorry. Is there another Greek god that floats your boat?

...but then again, I'm just a stranger in the interwebz, and take my thoughts with a grain of salt if you really like the name...

But Persephone gets a big thumbs up!

· Registered
255 Posts
I love Persephone! So pretty! Posey is a cute nickname...I also like something like Persy (Percy with a s). I like Apollo but since it looks like you like unique names, I'd be careful. I read an article about naming trends of 2010 and one of them was naming kids after Olympic athletes and I think Apollo was on the list bc of Apolo Anton Ohno. It might become popular quick....just a thought!

· Registered
156 Posts
I like both of them a lot. With such a popular last name you need to pick a name that is more unique....just my thinking since we have a really popular last name also (Bradley).

· Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Persephone, I've never heard of before. How exactly do you pronounce it? And Apollo is cute!

· Registered
201 Posts
I LOVE them both and they are both on the list for middle names for our twins. I think Cece (See-see) is a cute nickname for the girl.
Others in the same vein:

Odysseus
Ulysses
Achilles
Homer

Athena
Aphrodite
Hippolyte

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love it! You guys are great.

Persephone is a really lovely name, I think. It wasn't her fault she was kidnapped by Hades! But she has a lot to do with the seasons, esp. Spring, and harvest. I don't like the association with the famous painting "The Rape of Persephone." Eww...

I like Posey and Poppy for nicknames, but the name itself flows really nicely and doesn't seem that long to me. Reminds me of Penelope, which I also like.

Apollo isn't really floating my boat. It's just too much, imo.

Thank you for the heads up on naming trends! My son was super excited about the Greek names b/c he's so into the Percy Jackson books!

· Registered
247 Posts
I like Persephone a lot! It is a name most folks know how to pronounce without having to be told, and it is unique but still it is clearly not a name you got by dumping out some letters from a scrabble game!
It sounds ADORABLE with your other kids' names as well. Lots of fun nickname ideas too!

Not diggin' Apollo too much. It seems a little reachy to me (if that is even a word itself). You know, like just trying to hard to be different kind of thing? Plus, it is a little over the top making it a little comical, and I don't think it fits with your other kids' names.

· Registered
261 Posts
I think they're both wonderful names.

I would think a little about the chance of several Apollos on account of the speed skater, but depending on how unique you want to be that might not be a concern (I wouldn't expect Apollo to jump into the top 10 or anything, but if you're trying to stay out of the top 250 or something you might want to consider that it might be more popular this year).

(And I love the name Bodhi - if you don't mind that might go onto my list. Funny that could be an olympics influenced name this year also!)

· Registered
816 Posts
I love Persephone too!

I think it sounds very womanly and strong and beautiful. I wouldn't think it would need a nickname since it flows so nicely.

I'm not so hip to Apollo though. I also think of the Apollo 13 mission, and the name itself just seems over the top to me.

What about Cyprus or Nikias? I'm pretty sure Cyprus was the name of a city in Greek Mythology.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Love Persephone! Posey is adorable as a nickname and Persy would be cool too. But the name itself is great. Apollo is a little much, but I like it. Go for it if you both like it!

· Registered
5,403 Posts
I love Persephone! but be prepared for most people to read it as pear sep honey or per see phone. I would probably end up using her full name because it is beatiful but occasionally ceecee or percy.

I dont love apollo because it makes me think of the apollo launch and because where i live the majority speaks spanish so he would get "a pollo" and most people would wonder why he was named chicken.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So Persephone is out. I can't get past the "Rape of Persephone" references. Wouldn't it be wierd to see that there are two famous paintings called the "Rape of (insert your name here)"? I know that'd creep me out and I'd wonder what was up with my parents naming me that.

And Apollo is out too. Too much for me.

But it's okay because I love Noelle and I also like Piper so I'm working on those two with dh at the moment- Noelle Soleil or Piper Eloise I think...?

And if it's a boy? Geez...I like Devon Christopher and Tiller Jedidiah...very different from each other!

Our u/s is March 9th, then we'll get down to business. I like to have two possibilities and then feel out what they seem like on their birthday! Exciting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.