Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to stuff your pocket diapers? I ordered from Nicki's diapers an assortment of pockets that each came with a micro terry insert and I have made my own pockets and stuff them with a Gerber PF that I had been given as a gift and never used til now. Problem is, all the pockets are leaking. I think the inside layer needs to be more absorbent. I have tried doubling up, but they are so thick! I am changing more frequently than disposables! I am new to this so any help or advice would be great! I thought I would just order some CPF diapers and see if they are more absorbent but need to know where to get the best CPF. Someone also said that adding a microfiber insert (like what you would by in an auto parts store) would work as a very absorbent inner layer... what do you think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
First off, with cloth diapers, you will have to change more frequently than in disposals. Sometimes a lot more frequently. So maybe you are leaving your baby in the pockets too long? For me, I give a pocket two hours max. Usually I change a lot sooner than that (occasionally it's longer if dd is with someone else), but I'm really anal about changing my baby as soon as I know she is wet.<br><br>
Also, you didn't say how long you've had your pockets. Could there be some detergent build-up on them? It depends what detergent you use, though. Another idea might be that you need to dry them on hot - that seals the needle-pricks from sewing, especially if you made some yourself.<br><br>
Lastly, I like to stuff my pockets with hemp inserts. They are super trim and very absorbent. I haven't used gerber prefolds, but I've heard they aren't too absorbent. You could also try some non-gerber prefolds, or make your own inserts out of microterry cloths, cotton terry, flannel, anything absorbent. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I use cottonbabies inserts for most of mine (mostly because they came with the BG) which are microfiber, but they work really well, imo. You do need to watch more closely than w/disposables to see when the baby's wet, though. My daughter's not a heavy wetter but there have been a couple occasions where I'm not paying enough attention and she wets through. I don't really like the Gerber PFs though... they don't seem like the absorbancy gets any better with washing or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
i use an infant size DSQ prefolds (can't stand gerber, don't think they are worth much, myself) in our pockets for the most part. we also have inserts i have made with hemp, and others made of mictrofiber (various brands as well as ones i have made. they all work equally well IMO but the prefolds certainly do make the diaper much bulkier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I am going to order some new prefolds, and try to make some hemp inserts... to save on money!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts