Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*I* am the insomniac not my DD. Right now I'm going on about 3hrs sleep TOTAL for the week. yup. THREE HOURS. I've tried EVERYTHING to get to sleep. Cutting out all caffeene/sugar/carbs after 6pm, OTC sleep aids, Narcotic pain killers, my DH's perscription sleep aids, NOTHING will make me sleep longer than an half hour, hour tops. no matter what I do..I can NOT sleep...

Anything, please. I can't go on like this....I'm normally a nocturnal person during the summer, but with a 2yo I can't really do that....I need to fight my natural sleep/wake summer cycle....it's driving me nuts...

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, I don't really have anything heavy weighing on my mind.

The TTC JUST started, so it's not that.

Mabe it's because I have no friends.

But the stupid birds in the house aren't helping. I tried to lay down for a nap this afternoon, but a thunderstorm blew up, and it petrified my budgie to the point of not even covering his cage would make him shut up...ugh....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I haven't experienced anything NEAR what you're describing, so forgive me for this minor idea, but I wanted to mention something I discovered recently:

B vitamin supplements can disrupt sleep!
I had been taking my prenatal before bed, and was sleeping horribly- trouble falling asleep, waking easily, and once awake, would stay awake.

When I switched to taking them in the morning, I slept 100% better that very night, and ever since. Now I take my calcium before bed, since I've read that it has mild sedative/painkilling properties, and is absorbed better a night anyway.

I feel silly mentioning it in the face of such insomnia, but I love taking a bath before bed... and the herbs Valerian (stinky though!) and skullcap have good reputations...

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Wow! Poor you - I suffer occasionally from insomnia, and I hate it, so I can't imagine what you are going through...

Just a couple of suggestions - though they may be a bit lame considering the severity of your situation.

Have you tried using blackout curtains/sleep pillow over your eyes/headphones/white noise?

Lavender oil on bedlinen, and in a bath before bed - but the bath mustn't be too hot,

Tryptophan-rich foods - turkey sandwich is a classic!

Relaxation techniques...training your body to 'let go' bit by bit.

Does it feel as though it is your body keeping you awake (i.e. discomfort), or your mind (distracted)?

Have you ever had a massage from an RMT?

Physical exercise - with a little one I suspect you are already getting this!

Cal-mag supplement at bedtime

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions
I've been sleeping a LITTLE better, not much. I do think it is this horrible heat wave. my hubby got a window fan for the bedroom this week, and he's gonna get an AC this coming week.

It's my body that's keeping me awake

Re: the B suppliments, I take mine in the morning, but it's the "delayed release" type. I'm TTC so totally stopping the B would not be a good thing *since it's the B100 complex with folic acid n stuff*

I can't get into town to get a massage. But re: the lavender, I'll be sure to pick some up, or get DH to pick some up at the naturopath today.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hehehe we must be in the same province! (ontario?) as it's sooooo hot here...

about the vit b - could you just take a folic acid supplement? it's the b6 and b12 that are quite energising, and unless you are using a ton of it you may be able to drop that and just take the folic acid during ttc and pregnancy....

cal-mag can help if you have restless/twitchy legs.....500 mg is a good dose

let us know how you get on....i'll post if i can think of anything else

nak

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drink NOTHING but water after 5pm *Filtered through a britta filter*

and yup I"m in Ontario...it sucks.

And I'm trying to manage my depression through the B suppliments. It's better than going on drugs. I really do think it's the heat, and my allergies....It's kinda hard to sleep when you can't breathe, then wake yourself up while snoring!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts