Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling night-waking for the past few nights. Once I'm up, I'm up for at least 2 hours or so...Last night, I was awake from 4-6:30 a.m., and went to bed around 11. The night before it was 3:30-5 a.m. after crashing around midnight.

I don't nap (I can't!) and I go to bed late. Additionally, I sleep very lightly and awaken and dream on and off for much of the night. I don't toss and turn...I just drift in and out...

Anyone experiencing this?
What are you "doing" about it?

I have been lying in bed, battling it...trying to breathe deep and clear my mind...it's not working very well. If it happens again, tonight, I'm either going to get up and write or I'm going to exert myself in some way...walk around my house...up and down the stairs...haul wood...it's what FINALLY worked this morning. It's very frustrating to not sleep well.

Any hints or words of wisdom?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I never have had insomnia in my life including my pregnancy with dd, but this pregnancy I've been waking up and not falling back to sleep too! My bouts haven't lasted as long, but its frustrating nonetheless.

I attribute a large part of it to not getting any exercise, especially lately with a high of 11 degrees (F) where I live... there's no way I'm taking my 2.5yo out there!

If you find something that helps, let me know because I'd be interested in finding a solution too!

Sadie

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I wake up every 2-3 hours. Lately I've been able to fall back asleep quickly though. Before I was staying up for hours after I woke up each time. I haven't been sleeping well lately at all. I keep having nightmares and waking up shaking I'm so scared from them.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I had total insomnia for awhile, then it went away, and now I'm back to waking up for an hour or two in the middle of the night. I just wait it out
I co-sleep with my 2 year old so sometimes I just snuggle him for awhile and sometimes that works pretty well. DO you have other kids or another bed? You could get in bed with them, or try a fresh bed.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
What ApppleCrisp mentioned works for me. When I wake up and can't get back to sleep I crawl into bed with my son and sleep well. He is super warm and snuggly! And his bed is firmer than ours so I feel better in it.

But lately I have been waking up about a half hour before my son. I guess its not bad because when he wakes up for the day I am not tired and grumpy.

I certainly think that getting up and doing something is better than laying there and thinking about not sleeping. In my last pregnancy I did Hypnobabies and those cd's put me to sleep everytime. Is is possible for you to get ahold of a hypnosis or meditation cd?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
you know, my belief is that it's your body getting you ready and prepared for being awake a lot when baby comes. The lovely part is that you're accustomed to waking a lot, when baby falls asleep--you also will fall fast asleep.

At least this is what I tell myself and I don't stress about it, I just lay there and think lovely thoughts and eventually fall back asleep. Being upset about not sleeping definitely doesn't help you sleep.

Sarah

·
Registered
675 Posts
Agree with mamatoady. Night wakings and insomnia in pregnancy with DD helped me adjust when she was born. I think this bub is going to be a night owl, it's nearly midnight here and DH and DD have been asleep for ages but I don't even feel tired yet!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
I never have had insomnia in my life including my pregnancy with dd, but this pregnancy I've been waking up and not falling back to sleep too!
Me, too. Either I hear my DH getting up to use the bathroom or the dog wants out or I just wake up to blow my nose about 50 times. . .and then can't fall back asleep. If I don't fall back asleep in about 20 minutes of laying in bed, I get up and journal or read or eat (or all three, depending on how long it takes for me to get tired again!). If all else fails, a little, uh, self-gratification usually does the trick.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't awake (well, except to pee) last night!

We co-sleep and so I don't have a fresh bed to go to...it is a good idea, though...

I agree with this night-waking to be preparing me for the baby...but it's a little early and a little inconvenient in my mind. I am already not such a smooth sleeper. On top of that, I am a total night owl (and always have been).

I, too, have not been getting outside for the past couple of days...it's been so cold that school was cancelled twice this week because of frigid temps.
:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That's great you were able to sleep last night.
Insomnia was my first pg symptom. I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on, since I have always been a good sleeper. It comes and goes for me.
I find that eating a small protein-rich snack before bed, not watching too many movies, deep breathing and getting out of the house all help. We haven't been out much either. My hips hurt so much I can't chase E, and he's a darter. Slipping on the ice hurts like heck too. And yeah, it's cold!
:
I have some sleep CD's, well dh has some and I use them if I need to. Mostly I just ride it out. And try not to let my brain run away from me. Notice I said, try!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.